View Vacancy - Deputy Head, Bilateral and Internal Politics Team (DEU22.322)
The British Government in Germany is based at the British Embassy in Berlin and our consulates in Dusseldorf and Munich. We are part of a worldwide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas. Currently, we are looking for a Deputy Head, Bilateral and Internal Politics Team.
This is an exciting role at the heart of the British Embassy in Berlin’s efforts to deepen the bilateral relationship with Germany. With a relatively new German government in place and after significant limits on our public diplomacy during the pandemic, there is real potential for new engagement bringing our two societies closer together.
The job involves a mix of personal delivery and delivery through others, within and beyond the Germany Network. The jobholder will need to support effective engagement by senior leadership, including the Ambassador, and partner organisations who share our goals. They will also be responsible for managing events themselves.
As Deputy Head of a team of six, the jobholder will have direct line management responsibilities and will work beyond the Public Diplomacy and Internal Politics Section to deliver specific projects and to coordinate engagement, activity and reporting plans across the Germany Network.
The job offers scope for learning and development, for example on: strategic thinking; programme and project management; line management; and personal impact (including through external engagement in Berlin and regionally).
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and coordinate bilateral activity, particularly British-German engagement beyond government, such as between parliamentarians, youth and cultural sectors;
- Support Team Leader in management of the Germany Network’s programme budget, ensuring strategic resource allocation and personally leading on the delivery of specific projects. Maximise focus on projects with potential for wider public comms;
- Contribute to high quality political reporting and engagement plans, explaining the impact of German politics on UK priorities;
- Undertake direct line management responsibilities, offering support and direction as required;
- To undertake other duties that may reasonably be required and which are in accordance with the grading and competencies of the job.
- Proficient in English and German (both written and spoken, minimum of C2 level according to the CEFR framework*);
- Strong communication skills;
- Excellent organisation skills;
- Excellent time management and prioritisation skills;
- Attention to detail;
- Customer focus;
- The ability to work effectively in a team;
- The ability to respond flexibly to competing demands.
- Experience of working with UK business, government or institutions;
- An interest in the UK-Germany relationship.
This is a full-time fixed-term position for a contract period of two years with possibility of renewal. The gross yearly salary is €61,080 gross per annum rising to €68,611 gross per annum after a qualifying period in addition to performance related pay. (Salary is not negotiable)
The successful candidate will be subject to professional background check and security clearance. The successful candidate must have pre-existing work authorisation in Germany in order to apply.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local German employment law.
Visa/work permit requirements: Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Germany and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract.
Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure you meet the legal requirements to live and work in this country.
Our Learning & Development environment:
The British Embassy has a strong ethos of Learning & Development, including our Learning & Development Week. In addition, there will be many opportunities to attend external seminars and events on relevant issues. This is in addition to the induction programme offered to all staff.
The successful applicant will be encouraged to be actively involved in the corporate life of the British Embassy, contributing to the wider objectives of the British Government’s Germany network and supporting the British Embassy’s positive working environment.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”. We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Embassy will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
* Please note Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment indicates Level C2 as Mastery or proficiency Level which comprehends that a person can understand with ease virtually everything heard or read; can summarize information from different spoken and written sources, reconstructing arguments and accounts in a coherent presentation; can express themselves spontaneously, very fluently and precisely, differentiating finer shades of meaning even in the most complex situations. For more information please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your languages skills are going to be assessed.
This opportunity is closed to applications.