View Vacancy - Export Support Service Advisor, LATAC International Market Team - Guyana
Main purpose of job:
The Department for International Trade (DIT) is the Trade and Investment Promotion and Negotiation organisation for the UK. We promote British trade and investment across the world, we support UK businesses overseas and attract foreign investment to our shores. We have 3,000 staff across the globe in over 100 countries.
DIT divides the world into 9 regions, each led by Her Majesty’s Trade Commissioner. The Latin American and the Caribbean (LATAC) Region is led from São Paulo. The Network is represented in 20 Posts with a team of over 160.
The LATAC International Market Team - Export Support Service is the Region’s universal entry point for UK businesses. We are currently looking to recruit an Advisor to support UK firms help win and expand their business in the Latin America and Caribbean (LATAC) region, with a particular emphasis on the Commonwealth Caribbean markets. This role will engage with UK firms, connecting them to teams in the UK, the Caribbean, and across LATAC, as applicable, to support them in their export journey to the region. The successful individual will be customer orientated with a strong delivery focused mentality. They will be expected to demonstrate a high level of communication and intercultural skills alongside a drive to succeed and perform well.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?
- As a member of the LATAC International Market Team (IMT), the job holder will deliver a consistent quality service to UK companies interested in doing business in the LATAC region, with an emphasis on the Caribbean, by adopting an effective relationship management and a consultative approach, in accordance with the IMT team’s Key Performance Indicators KPIs.
- The job holder will be expected to be a member of the cross-government team in post and will engage with DIT, Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) and other HMG colleagues as appropriate to support UK companies currently in the LATAC market or looking to enter the LATAC market: anticipating opportunities and challenges and responding accordingly.
- The job holder will support the UK-based LATAC Business Specialist and the DIT Regional Director, Caribbean, reporting to the Head of LATAC IMT to build a pipeline of UK companies keen to operate in the LATAC region, with an emphasis on the Commonwealth Caribbean markets, to contribute to the region’s strategic objectives.
- The job holder will act as an advocate and expert for the LATAC International Market Team, helping to embed its work consistently supporting DIT colleagues based in LATAC markets and maintaining exceptional levels of customer service and support to internal and external stakeholders.
- The job holder will commission, create and evaluate market research (whether by sector, country or region), documentation and data to support UK businesses and internal activities. The Job holder needs to demonstrate strong data management and information literacy skills
- The job holder will be an active and meaningful contributor to the LATAC International Market Team promotional strategy encouraging UK firms uptake in the service being provided.
- Support in the development and implementation of the Export Support Service (ESS)
- The job holder is expected to participate in pan-regional initiatives such as events, market intelligence and chargeable services as required.
- The job holder may be asked to actively support wider mission initiatives as requested, including but not limited to, Crisis Work and other HMG programmes, tasks or activities
Essential upon arrival:
- Essential on arrival: Undergraduate degree and/or other relevant professional qualification or experience
- At least two years’ experience working in the trade and investment field
- Experience of working with commercially focused teams across the LATAC region
- Experience of customer relationship management
- Understand challenges facing UK businesses exporting to the region
- Experience of delivering commercial outcomes for government
- Proven track record of cross-team collaboration
- A positive, resilient, flexible and adaptable “can-do” attitude that can see way through challenges
- Strong communication skills
- Highly organised
You need to be a Guyanese citizen or you must have a valid work permit from the Ministry of Home Affairs.
- A knowledge of business practices and trends across LATAC
- Understanding of the UK offer, DIT, exports markets
- Research skills for compiling rigorous and user-friendly market reports
This opportunity is closed to applications.