View Vacancy - Economic Diplomacy and Projects Officer EO - (03/22 WHK)
Main purpose of job:
Manage FCDO projects within Namibia, including gathering proposals, adhering to UK Government programme rules, monitoring programme delivery, and evaluation. Lead on economics portfolio in Namibia. Delivery on climate agenda, specifically green energy and finance. Lead on UK trade promotion in Namibia.
Roles and responsibilities:
Project Management: Lead on delivery of projects in Namibia. Ensure full compliance with FCDO project and programme regulations. Seek project proposals that meet programme fund requirements. Monitor progress and final evaluation of projects.
Economic Diplomacy: Lead on all economic issues. Report on economic developments in Namibia, particularly where there is impact on UK-Namibia and wider international relations. Building contacts within key Namibian Ministries, economic thinktanks and others to enable regular reporting to the High Commissioner and Deputy.
Climate: Working with the Deputy High Commissioner to deliver the UK climate agenda. Responsibility for climate finance and green energy in particular.
UK trade promotion: Provide advice to potential UK and Namibian companies looking to invest in Namibia and the UK respectively. Lead on engagement with the British Business Group in Namibia. Harness opportunities for UK investment in Namibia, particularly in key sectors such as green hydrogen.
The role will include corporate responsibilities within the British High Commission, and requires ad hoc cover for colleagues during periods of absence. The successful candidate should also be flexible as there is the potential for some adjustment to the role outlined above.
Resources managed (staff and expenditure):
Oversight of ~£100,000 programme budget
Staff management responsibilities may be added to the job in due course
- Project management experience
- IT skills
- Proven understanding of Namibian economics and economic policy
- Finance management
Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
There are a wealth of learning and development opportunities available within the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office. In addition, there will be specific courses available in project management and economics.
The successful applicant will have experience in project management, and managing programme budgets. The successful applicant will have a good understanding of Namibian economics and economic policy.
The British High Commission is a small team, with two UK Diplomats and five Country-Based office staff. The successful applicant will be a good team player, able to integrate into the team, and contribute to collegiate and supportive team values.
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Windhoek are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Namibia.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to;
1. Obtain the relevant permit
2. Pay fees for the permit
3. Make arrangements to relocate
4. Meet the costs to relocation
- The British High Commission do not sponsor visas/work permits except where it may be local practice to do so.
- Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income tax amount.
- Information about the Civil Service Success Profiles can be found on this link:
- Please note: AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
This opportunity is closed to applications.