View Vacancy - Head Strategic Communications and Marketing
The British Council is seeking a Head Strategic Communications and Marketing to work as a key member of its team in Washington DC.
As the UK’s cultural relations organization, the British Council has over 80 years of experience in building trust in communities around the world. For more information, visit www.britishcouncil.us.
Main opportunities for this role
- Develop an innovative communications and marketing strategy in the context of the current global economic, social and political climate.
- Raise the profile of the British Council in the USA in the sectors in which we operate in order to demonstrate the relevance of the UK to the USA in the 21st century and contribute to the strengthening of the transatlantic relationship.
Duties and Responsibilities:
In line with British Council corporate policy:
- Work with colleagues in the US to develop and deliver a focussed, realistic yet innovative communications and marketing strategy for the US while employing all digital platforms.
- Lead on the marketing of online English products in the US.
- Work with Communications managers across the region to identify and exploit opportunities for cross-promotion.
- Ensure the British Council’s use of social media tools is up to date and effective.
- Effectively promote the strategy to British Council sectors in the US and across the region, as well as to external partners and funders.
- Manage and develop internal and regional communications by effectively working with British Council and British Embassy colleagues.
- Create team deliverables which develop and the effectiveness of the communications and marketing strategy.
- Provide market intelligence and create opportunities for the UK sector.
- Contribute to the overall development and implementation of the Country Plan as a member of the Senior Management Team and to work closely with colleagues to ensure that the activity developed by each sector and program area contributes to the over-arching objectives of the operation as a whole.
- Line management of the Digital Communications Coordinator.
- Provide expert advice to sector leads on the implementation of the communications and marketing strategy in their work.
- Effectively manage the Communications and Marketing budget.
- Demonstrate leadership, accountability, determination and commitment to British Council values.
- Significant and demonstrable experience in Communications and Marketing.
- Knowledge of US and global Communications and Marketing environment.
- Previous management experience.
Under US State Department requirements, the Embassy may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Green Card holders or A or NATO visa holders with EAD cards*. If you hold a visa other than an A or NATO visa you are not currently eligible to work at the Embassy. Please refer to our website for information on exceptions to this policy at www.ukinusa.fco.gov.uk. All candidates will be subject to background checks and security clearance.
*A visas or NATO visas with EAD cards are acceptable at the Embassy, Consulates, and British Defence Staff (BDS) outposts. The UK Mission to the UN (UKMIS) accepts G visas.
The British Embassy Network offers a strong benefits package. This package includes medical, dental, vision, life, long term and short term disability insurance, a 401(k) retirement savings plan, generous vacation and leave time, and an enriching training package.
Salary will be confirmed upon offer of employment. Individuals who are Green Card holders, UK/US dual citizens, and non US taxpaying citizens will be paid a net salary based on a simulated US tax status.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local American employment law.
To review the full Role Profile (job description) please check our website at this link: http://www.britishcouncil.us/about-us/career-opportunities
Resume and a cover letter with salary history should be submitted by 15 March 2017. Please identify in your cover letter whether you are currently eligible to work at the Embassy. Internal candidates must inform their Head of Group before applying.
Only successful candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed.
Child Protection - The British Council believes that all children have potential and that every child matters – everywhere in the world. The British Council affirms the position that all children have the right to be protected from all forms of abuse as set out in article 19, UNCRC 1989
The British Embassy and its Consulates are an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, veteran status, or other category protected by law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.