View Vacancy - JKT - Human Resources & Corporate Manager, HEO
Second-in-Command of our Corporate Services Team (CST), this role blends leadership and operational delivery / resource management, mainly (but not only) in Human Resources. CST is growing, to match expansion of the UK’s bilateral Embassy to Indonesia (“the Embassy”) and the UK Mission to ASEAN (“the Mission”) which together share our Kuningan site. The Embassy is part of a network of 270 Posts, representing British political, defence, economic, trade, and consular interests world-wide. It is headquartered at the UK’s Kuningan site, but includes “forward presence officers” in 5 Provincial capitals and Consular staff in Bali and beyond. The UK Mission to ASEAN works to deepen UK engagement with ASEAN, building on existing collaboration and exploring new ways to collaborate with the organisation and its member states.
As well as Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO), several other parts of UK Government operate from the same platform, and access CST services on an equal basis.
The jobholder will play a key part in the successful operations of the Embassy – underpinning the work of approximately 150 local and UK staff and our business plans. Along the way, they will have a great opportunity to develop themselves professionally, drawing on the Learning and Development resources of the UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO); and “on the job”, while working closely with Indonesian Ministries and agencies, UK Ministries and Regional Hubs.
The jobholder will report to and work closely with the Head of the Corporate Services (HCS) across the Embassy / Mission’s whole Country Business Plan; and will act as the Deputy in providing leadership to the whole CS team. Together, they ensure operational delivery of services extending across Finance, Human Resources, Procurement, Information Technology, Logistics & Protocol, and Estate / Health & Safety. The jobholder will have particular responsibility for Human Resource services and advice for over a hundred locally-employed Country Based Staff (CBS), guided and supported by a UK regional “HR Hub” at the British Embassy in Manila.
The role calls for strong expertise and experience in corporate Human Resources, interpersonal, problem-solving, and decision making, to keep the Embassy compliant with best practice guidance from London (FCDO) and local legal requirements.
The successful candidate will be offered a 12-months Fixed Term Contract initially, with a conversion to a permanent contract upon satisfactory performance at the end of 12 months term.
Strategic Planning and Leadership 20%
- Lead and monitor the delivery of Human Resource services and people-related initiatives against the local Corporate Services Charter.
- Trusted advisor to local leadership and partners on the platform, horizon scanning to enable proactive resource and activity planning in Human Resources; informed by whole team’s objectives (e.g. Country Business Plan, Risk Register), and by strong teamwork with colleagues in CST and across the Embassy / Mission).
- In-house advocacy to ensure Human Resouce policies are aligned to global and local requirements and understood by all partners on the platform.
- Support the Head of Corporate Services in strategic leadership, decision-making and planning of the corporate agenda.
- Stand in for the Head of Corporate Services in leading, managing and representing CST in the absence of HCS, including in making decisions on behalf of the HCS.
- Manage and perform corporate delivery by working closely with the regional Human Resource hub in: staff recruitment, onboarding, contract management, salaries, medical insurance and other staff employment and payment matters.
- Direct management of Human Resource initiatives and issues, together with the regional HR hub and Country Based Staff Association, ensuring that UK and local standards are met through planned and reactive management; and in compliance with corporate procedures, including local and UK regulations and policy.
- Instil a continuous improvement mentality within CST and the Embassy, leading on corporate projects and the change management required to deliver them in the Human Resource area.
- Work closely with various Embassy committees on people-related matters and initiatives (eg. People Stuff, Mental Health & Wellbeing, Performance Appraisal Moderation, Learning & Development).
- Lead on the overall employer proposition, including terms and conditions of service and pay and benefits for staff, ensuring compliance with local labour law.
- Provide guidance and act as an escalation point on sensitive HR matters for staff, including management issues and dispute resolution, engaging with regional HR hub, Country Based Staff Association and the Ambassador’s Honorary Legal Advisory if necessary.
- Champion and embed a collaborative and inclusive culture and other people-related initiatives.
- Respond to operational crises, providing deputy leadership and flexing team prioritisation as required.
- Ensure cross training within Corporate Services roles to provide resilience within the team.
- Work with the Head of Corporate Services to plan long term resource and development needs and to ensure wellbeing and engagement are maintained within CST, seeking regular feedback and embedding the values of resilience, respect, courage, creativity, expertise and public service.
Resources managed: One (1) staff
- A minimum of 5 years experience working in Human Resources management, advisory, policy and implementation with strong expertise and familiarity with local manpower law
- A minimum of 3 years middle management experience working for international (English speaking) organisation
- Experience working in a matrix-based organisation
- Experience in leading a team and people management
- Language: Fluent in both written and verbal Bahasa Indonesia and English
- Pragmatic, decisive and analytical
- Strong interpersonal, decision making and relationship building skills
- Dynamic approach to people issues
The British Embassy/Consulate offers a competitive remuneration package including:
- Annual leave entitlement of 25 days per year
- Medical benefit (medical insurance)
- Access to extensive learning and development opportunities: We place a strong emphasis on learning and development. You will be encouraged to undertake developmental training and get involved in corporate activities. You will have access to existing and new Corporate Services L&D as well as wider job-relevant L&D and support for your own personal development. You will have direct access to the FCDO’s International Academy.
No accommodation or relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position.
Employment offers are subject to successful clearance of pre-employment checks. In relation to this, the successful candidate will need to arrange for his/her own Police Certificate.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Note : All applicants are required to mandatorily fill the online application form completely including the employment and educational details, experience, professional skills and behaviour based questions. We will be thoroughly reviewing the applications and incomplete form in any respect may not be considered while shortlisting for the next stage.
For inclusivity and diversity, please remove the following personal information when uploading your CV: name, address, email address, age, date of birth, gender, and nationality.
The start date mentioned in the job advert is a tentative start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances.
This opportunity is closed to applications.