View Vacancy - Consular Assistant A2 (L) (07/18 KPL)
Main purpose of job:
To provide a high quality and efficient consular service to British nationals in Uganda in line with the standards set out in our publication "Support for British Nationals Abroad: A Guide” and Consular Strategy.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
As Consular Assistant you will be responsible for providing consular assistance in Uganda. The jobholder will occasionally have to manage challenging but rewarding consular cases. They will help customers through some of the most difficult experiences of their lives. This may include: visiting people who have been arrested, are in prison or hospitalised; visiting mortuaries; supporting bereaved families and victims of crime, victims of sexual assault and dealing with cases involving child abduction. The successful candidate will also work closely with colleagues across the Sub-Saharan Africa network and in the UK in order to ensure excellent delivery and consistency of services. The candidate must be able and willing to engage on these difficult issues:
- Checking and processing applications for Emergency Travel Documents.
- Liaising with partners including local authorities, British companies, the tourism industry, airlines, wardens, NGOs, other diplomatic missions etc.
- Delivering outreach activities which support our Consular Strategy objectives.
- Contributing to crisis planning and response in Uganda.
- Managing information, completing returns and other administrative tasks.
- The successful candidate must be prepared to work out of hours if required (see below on time of in lieu/overtime).
For many British nationals, the only contact they will ever have with a British mission will be through our consular services, often in times of great personal distress. As a customer-facing member of staff, the jobholder will need:
- Excellent communication skills and be able to deal with distressing situations in a sensitive manner and with empathy.
- Excellent all-round communication skills to manage customer expectations and deliver difficult messages;
- Excellent customer service skills - ability to respond to a range of customer needs and cultivate strong relationships with customers and stakeholders.
- Calmness under pressure;
- Ability to research and follow guidelines, and to plan and prioritise effectively;
- Ability to work well with others - to build and maintain relationships with customers and stakeholders;
- Strong problem solving skills using own judgement;
- Ability to respond quickly to changing priorities, sometimes in pressurised environments;
- Prepared to react positively to change and ready to try new ways of working;
- Excellent IT and numeracy skills, a good knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook is essential;
- Fluent in English (if non-native English speaker then IELTS band 7 or TOEIC 875 points or above or equivalent).
- Experience working in a British or international environment is also desirable;
Learning and development:
- Introductory consular training course in the first three months of the job;
- Relevant online learning for the role.
Monday – Thursday 08.30 – 17.00; Fridays 08.30 – 13:00. The job holder must be prepared to work out of hours in emergencies, for which time off in lieu will be given, subject to prior agreement by management.
- Please complete the application form in full. Failure to do so may result in a determination that you do not meet the requirements for the position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Kampala are subject to the Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Uganda.
- All applicants must be legally able to work in the country of application with the correct visa/status or work permit.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Reference and security clearances checks will be conducted.
- Any questions you may have about this position will be answered during the interview, should you be invited.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework
- Successful candidates not resident in Uganda will be personally liable for costs and arrangements to relocate, including accommodation and work permits.
- Check your application and attachments before you submit your application, as you will not be able to make any changes once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never ask you to pay a fee or money to apply for a position.
- Please log into your profile on the application system on a regular basis to review the status of your application.
This opportunity is closed to applications.