View Vacancy - UK Consul: Government & Prosperity
The British Government is looking for a highly-motivated, exceptional candidate to run a one-person UK Government Office (Consular Agency) in Raleigh-Durham, NC.
The Government Office will be located in Raleigh-Durham.
Reporting to the UK Consul General in Atlanta, the successful candidate will be the UK Government’s local representative in North Carolina. He/she will support the UK’s commercial, economic and political relationship with North Carolina and will develop business links and scientific research collaboration. The successful candidate will work closely with other UK Government colleagues across the US network, and in particular from the Department for International Trade (DIT), Science & Innovation, as well as from Politics, Press, and Public Affairs (PPPA) sections.
The successful candidate will have responsibility for managing a small operating and administration budget in line with UK Government guidelines.
At present confirmed funding for the position runs to end-March 2017, but we envisage this role to be multi-year through the life of the overall Prosperity Fund.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work with the Department for International Trade team in the region to boost UK trade into North Carolina and investment into UK from North Carolina. Monitor local business developments and refer clients to Department for International Trade specialists; develop high quality trade and investment opportunities.
- Develop and maintain high-level, influential networks across North Carolina including business leaders to help build the profile of the UK economy in North Carolina and promote wider prosperity policies.
- Engage with municipal and state government on issues of importance to the UK and particularly on the political economy, energy policy and climate change, trade and business development and science and innovation.
- Report on political and economic developments in North Carolina to top officials across the US Network, especially those in Atlanta.
- Represent the UK at external functions, including speaking engagements.
- Facilitate and manage visits by senior UK Government representatives to North Carolina.
- Minimum of a bachelors degree
- A proven self-starter and able to work under limited day-to-day direction and supervision
- Able to take responsibility for their own decisions in pursuit of clearly-defined goals
- Able to demonstrate a track record of working collaboratively, ideally with colleagues across different locations
- Be a confident communicator and networker, with prior experience of public-speaking
- 8- 10 years of directly-related professional experience
- Proficiency in Power Point, Excel and Office Suite
Under US State Department requirements, the Embassy Network may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Green Card holders or A or NATO visa holders with EAD cards*. If you hold a visa other than an A or NATO visa you are not currently eligible to work at the Embassy. Please refer to our website for information on exceptions to this policy at www.gov.uk/government/world/usa. All candidates will be subject to background checks and security clearance.
*A visas or NATO visas with EAD cards are acceptable at the Embassy, Consulates, and British Defence Staff (BDS) outposts. The UK Mission to the UN (UKMIS) accepts G visas.
- Government or public policy experience
- Some knowledge of international policy issues and the UK
The British Embassy Network offers a strong benefits package. This package includes medical, dental, vision, life, long term and short term disability insurance, a 401(k) retirement savings plan, generous vacation and leave time, and an enriching training package.
The target salary for this position is $73,424 annualized. Salary will be confirmed upon offer of employment. Individuals who are Green Card holders, UK/US dual citizens, and non US taxpaying citizens will be paid a net salary based on a simulated US tax status.
Resume and a cover letter with salary history should be submitted by 9 October 2016. Please identify in your cover letter whether you are currently eligible to work at the Embassy. Internal candidates must address their resumes through the Head of Group before applying.
Only successful candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed.
The British Consulate General is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation or other category protected by law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.