View Vacancy - Political Adviser – Bogota
Main purpose of job:
The Political Adviser will be responsible for providing effective analysis, reporting and outreach, on internal and external political affairs in Colombia, to help the Political Team ensure HMG’s objectives in Colombia are met.
The Political Adviser will need to represent the Political Team, especially in Colombia’s regions, and will be expected to develop and culture a wide array of contacts, from politics to academia to members of the international community in Colombia.
In terms of specific objectives, the Political Adviser will support the D6 counsellor in effectively lobbying Colombia on external political priorities, as well as providing intelligent reporting to London on what is happening inside Colombia, including on the peace deal and Colombia’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
Internal politics reporting and engagement – 40%
- Insightful reporting on Colombia’s internal politics, including understanding of regional political dynamics
- Drafting reports on other policy areas of interest to London, e.g. drugs policy
- Drafting reports to support D6 Peace & Conflict adviser, on implementation of Colombia’s peace deal
- Implement “2019 regional elections strategy”
- Support 2nd Secretary Political in meeting London reporting requirements, e.g. parliamentary and Diptels
- Provide political support across the embassy, to help deliver other teams’ objectives, e.g. on programming
- Organise inward and regional visits/meetings
External politics reporting and engagement – 20 %
- Accurate understanding and reporting of Colombia’s external political stance, e.g. in the UN, and regionally vis-à-vis Venezuela
- Support D6 Political Counsellor in orchestrating and delivering lobbying requests
Stakeholder Management and representation – 20%
- Develop and culture wide range of political contacts
- A specific focus on understanding and knowing Congress, which will include significant time in Congress
- Broaden Embassy’s network of contacts within academia, think tanks and the press
- Represent the Embassy regionally, and stand in for 2nd Secretary Political and/or Counsellor when necessary
Line management – 10%
- Line manage 1*A2(L) Human Rights Policy Officer
- Guide their learning and development on the job
L&D – 10%
- Ensure own L&D is sufficient
- Undertake relevant Diplomatic Academy courses
Essential on arrival:
- Batchelor’s degree in Political Science, International Relations, or similar
Must have the legal status to live and work in Colombia
Language: English and Spanish
Level of language required: Fluent
- 4+ years experience engaging in Colombia’s political climate, an understanding of the peace deal, experience producing excellent analytical reports in fluent English, relevant contacts
- On the job training, field visits and discussion opportunities with academics/think tanks
- Diplomatic Academy courses
Due to COVID-19 we are unable to confirm any start date of employment at this time. We will continue to monitor progress and developments, and will be touch as soon as there is an update
The British Embassy Network offers a strong benefits package. This package includes generous vacation and leave time, flexible working patterns, and enriching learning and development opportunities.
This opportunity is closed to applications.