View Vacancy - Gardener
Main purpose of job
The Technical Works Group of the British High Commission is seeking to recruit an experienced Gardener, with a minimum of 2 – 3 years practical experience, to undertake gardening works of initial landscaping and subsequent treatment and maintenance; rehabilitation/replanting work due to extreme weather conditions or natural disasters (heavy rains, strong winds, hurricane, fire, etc.); random tree surgery, felling and planting; removal of trees, shrubs or climbing plants which might affect the security or structural integrity of the property. Applicant will be expected to maintain safe, sound and clean grounds and pool amenities of the High Commission, at high standards.
Roles and responsibilities
- Work jointly with other gardeners on tree planting, pruning, removal of shrubs, watering and general planting and maintenance of lawns and gardens.
- Identify, gather and remove of rubbish which inadvertently appear in and around gardens
- Maintaining, cleaning, weeding, cutting grass and trimming trees in designated areas.
- Clearing of garden or weeded areas surrounding the swimming pool and parking facilities
- Informing Manager of any maintenance requests related to dedicated areas
Gardener must have the necessary skills and experience to maintain the gardens and to follow a programme of gradual improvement and renewal, where applicable.
- Knowledgeable about various plants, trees, weeds, shrubs, soil types and tools of the job
- minimum of 2-3 years hands-on experience as a Gardener
- reliable, passionate, flexible in carrying out tasks
- up-to-date with current gardening practices
- Knowledge of health and safety procedures
- Experience using tools and equipment associated with the job
- Must be able to safely administer general plant shining or treatment spraying for insects
- Must be able to handle basic gardening fertilisers, grass, seed, bedding plants, and mulches
Candidate should also possess:
- Excellent customer service skills, be focused and have an eye for detail.
- Ability to work cohesively as part of a team, and provide support to colleagues where required.
- Ability to organize time effectively while taking into account customer needs and requirements.
Must have the legal status to live and work in Jamaica.
- have permits and certificates which complements the job (e.g. spraying, waste management)
- able to carry out basic maintenance of gardening tools and equipment
- formal training/certification in landscaping, horticulture, or botany would be a distinct advantage
- ability to prepare floral space for special occasions
- Availability to work flexible hours if required and where called upon to assist with official events.
This opportunity is closed to applications.