View Vacancy - CQ - Trade and Investment Officer A2(L)
Main purpose of job:
The UK’s Department for International Trade (DIT) has overall responsibility for promoting UK trade across the world and attracting foreign investment to the UK’s economy. We’re a specialised government body with responsibility for negotiating international trade policy, supporting UK businesses, as well as delivering an outward-looking trade diplomacy strategy.
DIT China’s Environment and Infrastructure team focusses on furthering trade and investment between the UK and China in the environment and infrastructure sectors. We are seeking a Trade and Investment Officer to:
1) Support DIT China Environment & Infrastructure team’s main activities including priority government and business-facing events and tailored programmes for VIP visitors such as UK Government Ministers. The successful candidate will support a very busy and diversified team by arranging meetings and company calls and other commercial functions within the sectors of responsibility and supporting sectors.
2) Support the Regional Head of the team to deliver good quality of services in a series of activities in South West China. This will include providing translation or interpretation support and other administrative functions to the team as required. The job involves some travel domestically and overseas. It will involve coordination with different stakeholders both in China and UK and working under pressure to meet deadlines.
Role and Responsibilities:
Trade development in Environment & Infrastructure Sector (30%)
- Develop relationships with key local contacts, including Government officials, to explain relevant policies, regulations and incentives and to identify and promote market demand; including issuing Business Opportunities to customers
- Develop relationships with individual customers and their representative bodies (sectoral and geographical) to identify and promote UK supply capability
Inward Investment work in Environment & Infrastructure Sector (20%)
- To actively promote UK as a good investment destination for good quality South West based Chinese companies
- To grasp Chinese companies’ intentions, interests and objectives to make investment in the UK by arranging meetings, sectoral workshop etc.
Contribute to team targets (20%)
- To support and contribute to the effective delivery of Chinawide Infrastructure and Environment team targets within the agreed business plan activities.
- To seek out and establish relationships in the sector, identifying and publishing qualified opportunities in China that will be of interest to UK companies. Market, sell and deliver DIT services.
Leverage network (20%)
- Develop and maintain relationships with Chinese stakeholders in both government and business across China to identify opportunities for UK Environment & Infrastructure Sector.
- Build and maintain links with main UK companies either established in or new to the Chinese market. To help raise the profile of high value UK Infrastructure & Enviornment sector companies in the China market through seminars, business partnering events, missions and meetings.
- To maintain Datahub including record accurate and timly information for Business Wins, Inward Investment pipeline projects and other relevant sectoral file work
- Manage business opportunities and provide logistic/administrative support to the team.
- Update sectoral trend by reading sectoral related newspaper, magazine etc.
- Native in spoken and written Mandarin
- Excellent / Highly Proficient in English
We offer a competitive package, which includes basic salary, good leave entitlement, and insurance plan, etc.
We also offer excellent development opportunities and a 22-day annual leave entitlement in pro rata. Conditioned working hours is 35 hours/ week from Monday to Friday and flexible working can be arranged upon personal needs. For more details on our Total Rewards Package, please visit our website http://www.gov.uk/government/world/china.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy and its Consulates is subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Chinese employment law.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
The start date mentioned in the job advert is a tentative start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances.
This opportunity is closed to applications.