View Vacancy - Trade & Investment Officer (Maternity Cover)
The British Embassy Doha is part of a worldwide network representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking for a Trade & Investment Officer grade A2 (L) to cover a maternity for 9 months.
Main Purpose of the Job:
The Department for International Trade (DIT) is the British Government Department responsible for providing operational support for exports and facilitating inward and outward investment. DIT is helping the government reach its 2020 £1 trillion export and £1.5 trillion foreign direct investment targets.
To provide new and experienced British companies with the information and support they require to make business decisions, and to achieve success in Qatar. Supporting the DIT projects as required by handling market research enquiries, coordinating events, recording business interactions, providing tailored reports and identifying business opportunities for British companies.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Briefing British businesses and responding to enquiries. Initiating, planning and delivering events and visits.
- Providing support in the Sport Economy sector, with a particular focus on the World Cup 2022 delivery and related activities (including infrastructure, creative and tourism).
- Overseeing support for visiting trade missions, specifically for delivery of the World Cup trade mission and SME Conference (March 2020).
- Providing logistical support on VIP visits across DIT.
- Maintaining timely records of interactions with customers on DIT’s global Data Hub.
- Updating DIT key contact database to be used for invites to events
- Providing administrative support for the DIT team as and when required.
- Any other duties as required by the Director/Deputy Director of International Trade.
- Managing a Quality Service: Effectiveness in this area is about being organised to deliver service objectives and striving to improve the quality of service, taking account of diverse customer needs and requirements.
- Collaborating and Partnering: People skilled in this area create and maintain positive, professional and trusting working relationships with a wide range of people within and outside the Civil Service to help get business done.
- Delivering at Pace: Effectiveness in this area means focusing on delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes.
- Achieving Commercial Outcomes: Being effective in this area is about maintaining an economic, long-term focus in all activities. It’s about having a commercial, financial and sustainable mind-set to ensure all activities and services are delivering added value and working to stimulate economic growth.
- Strong IT computer skills using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Office and conducting internet searches.
- Good presentation and interpersonal skills.
- The ability to initiate and maintain a wide range of working relationships.
- Previous experience in a customer-facing role.
- Strong organisational skills.
- Ideally, some knowledge of the Qatar business environment.
- The ability to work quickly, reliably and proactively with attention to detail and limited supervision.
- Excellent written and oral English is essential with an eye for detail
- Experience of organising events and customer database.
- Experience of working in a large team and of working in the GCC
- Knowledge of Arabic (spoken and written) is desirable but not essential.
Working Hours and Remuneration:
The British Embassy offers a competitive remuneration package, including non-negotiable salary of QR 11,520 per calendar month and transportation allowance of QR 800 per calendar month, paid in arrears. The contract will be for a full time employment, on a fixed term basis for nine (9) months to cover a maternity.
No accommodation and relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position.
Embassy working hours are 7.30 a.m. to 3.30 p.m. Sunday to Wednesday and 7.30 a.m. to 1.30 p.m. on Thursday. Due to the nature of the work, this position will sometimes involve out of hours commitment (networking events, receptions, and seminars). Travel to the UK and within the Gulf region (and possibly further afield) may be required for training and logistical purposes.
The successful candidate will need to commence security clearance procedures through the Embassy.
Applicants must already reside in Qatar, have a valid residence permit and therefore hold the right to live and work there, under spouse sponsorship.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates must complete the online application form and answer the motivation for applying.
** (Your application must include examples of when you have demonstrated the competencies outlined above in your online application form. Applications that are not complete will be rejected).
The closing date for applications will be 22 January 2020 by 23:55 Local time.
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
The recruitment process, including security clearance, is expected to take around two months.
Due to the large amount of applications, the Embassy receives only those shortlisted for an assessment will be contacted.
The successful candidate will be required to undergo security-vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances, medical clearance and reference checks.
The British Embassy Doha is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference. Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy is subject to Terms and Conditions of service according to local Qatari employment law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.