View Vacancy - Human Resources Officer (DEU20.177)
Note: Due to COVID-19, you may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign. We are working hard to minimise any disruption. You may find more information in the Additional Information section below.
The British Embassy in Berlin is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and we are currently seeking to appoint a Human Resources (HR) Officer.
As part of our HR team you will support the Human Resources Manager by providing a professional HR service across the British diplomatic missions in Germany in line with German labour law, best practice and central policy.
The successful candidate will be required to support the diplomats and their families before and during their secondment, providing excellent internal customer service. This role is also essential in the implementation of our HR initiatives, namely coordinating Learning & Development (L&D) activities across the Germany network and providing administrative support to the HR Manager and L&D committee.
What will be your key responsibilities?
- Provide administrative support to the HR Manager and respond to general HR enquiries;
- Overall coordination of diplomats arriving/departing post;
- Liaison and administration with German Foreign Ministry for all Germany Network staff, diplomatic families and Honorary Consuls;
- Handle ID card applications and returns, prepare Notes Verbale as required;
- Processing of financial transactions;
- Overall coordination of language training and examinations for diplomats;
- Support the work of the L&D committee by coordinating and organising activities;
- Regularly review and update staff induction information;
- Participate in corporate projects focussed on supporting and developing the collective spirit of the Embassy and the Consulate-Generals in Germany.
- Proficient in English and German (both written and spoken, minimum of C2 level for English and C1 level for German according to the CEFR framework*);
- Recent experience of administrative work, ideally in an HR setting;
- Customer focussed and the ability to empathise with other people’s circumstances;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Excellent IT skills, especially standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel and Outlook);
- Proactive with a can-do attitude;
- Excellent organisational skills;
- Ability to deliver high quality work within deadlines;
- The ability to maintain confidentiality at all times;
- The ability to work independently but also with colleagues and contacts in the immediate and wider teams as appropriate.
- Knowledge of German labour law and social insurance regulations;
- Experience of working in an international environment;
- Experience of working with Oracle databases.
Our Conditions of Employment:
This is a full-time fixed-term position for a contract period of two years, with the possibility of renewal by mutual agreement.
The gross yearly salary is €44,232 rising to a maximum of approx. €49,686 gross per annum after a qualifying period in addition to performance related pay (salary is not negotiable).
The successful candidate will be subject to professional background check and security clearance. The successful candidate must have pre-existing work authorisation in Germany in order to apply.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Germany are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local German employment law.
Visa/Passport requirements: Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Germany and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract. Additional requirements may become necessary after 31st December 2020.
Our Learning & Development environment:
The British Embassy in Berlin has a strong ethos of Learning & Development, including our Learning & Development Week. In addition, there will be many opportunities to attend external seminars and events on relevant issues. This is in addition to the induction programme offered to all Embassy staff.
The successful applicant will be encouraged to be actively involved in the corporate life of the Embassy, contributing to the wider objectives of the British Government’s Germany network and supporting the Embassy’s positive working environment.
Information due to COVID-19:
- You may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption;
- Interviews will be done remotely if the existing situation determines this to be the right course of action;
- Starting date may be delayed depending on circumstances at the time and it will be agreed with the selected candidate.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”. We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Embassy will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
*Please note Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment indicates Level C2 as Mastery or proficiency Level which comprehends that a person can understand with ease virtually everything heard or read; can summarize information from different spoken and written sources, reconstructing arguments and accounts in a coherent presentation; can express themselves spontaneously, very fluently and precisely, differentiating finer shades of meaning even in the most complex situations; and indicates Level C1 as Mastery or proficiency Level which comprehends that a person can understand a wide range of demanding, longer texts, and recognise implicit meaning; can express fluently and spontaneously without much obvious searching for expressions; can use language flexibly and effectively for social, academic and professional purposes; can produce clear, well-structured, detailed text on complex subjects, showing controlled use of organisational patterns, connectors and cohesive devices. For more information please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your language skill is going to be assessed.
This opportunity is closed to applications.