View Vacancy - CQ - Sichuan Regional Outreach Officer C4(L) (Maternity Cover)
Main purpose of job:
The position is based in Chengdu and works remotely for the BCG in Chongqing reporting directly to the Deputy Consul General.
The role of the Sichuan Regional Outreach Officer is to maintain and strengthen links between the UK and Sichuan governments, companies, media, educational institutions and people; increase the UK understanding of political, economic and social issues in Sichuan and generate awareness of UK strengths. Sichuan is a vital and increasingly important part of the consulate’s work in Southwest China with the largest presence of UK companies and British nationals in the region. As the consulate’s sole representative in Sichuan, this is a demanding and high profile role, and the job holder will have the opportunity to interact with influential UK and Sichuan figures from a broad range of different backgrounds.
The successful candidate must be able to work independently and proactively, use initiative in seeking out and developing new opportunities rather than being directed to them. They will also need strong stakeholder management and communication skills (in both English and Mandarin Chinese) to build a wide network within Sichuan. They will need to understand and process a large amount of diverse information to be effective and be expected to provide insightful reporting on political and economic developments within Chengdu and across Sichuan.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Identify, research and facilitate opportunities for UK-Sichuan co-operation in line with UK objectives. Lead in the delivery of a broad range of activities working closely with consulate based colleagues in areas of political and economic analysis and reporting, climate change, education and science & innovation. Bidding for project funding from relevant British Government funds in support of these aims. Promoting the Chevening Scholarship scheme and maintaining contacts with alumni of the programme. (25%)
- Ensure the UK government has access to a wide range of influential figures in Sichuan. Building a wide range of contacts in the local government, media, business, academic and NGO communities. (25%)
- Arrange and support visits to Sichuan by BCG Chongqing staff, senior UK officials and business leaders and support as necessary senior visitors from Sichuan to the UK. (20%)
- Provide insightful, timely an well researched reporting on relevant political, economic and commercial developments. All sections in British Consulate Chongqing understand key developments in Sichuan. (25%)
- Management / Corporate Services - Self-administration (5%)
Resources managed (staff and expenditure):
Identification of projects in Sichuan funded by the Bilateral Fund and Chevening Alumni Fund. Travel and Entertainment Budget.
**This role is a Maternity Cover and the duration is 6 months
- Excellent / Highly Proficient in spoken and written English
- Native in spoken and written Mandarin
- Education: Graduate degree or equivalent professional experience/qualification
- Specific role experience: Knowledge of Sichuan and experience with local business and/or government
- IT: knowledge of internet research, Microsoft Office, Word, Excel and Powerpoint
- Excellent networking skills, be experienced in relationship managing key clients
- An adaptable self-starter with enthusiasm and energy able to work alone as well as in a team.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proven organisational ability
- Knowledge of the UK
We offer a competitive package, which includes basic salary, good leave entitlement, and insurance plan, etc.
We also offer excellent development opportunities and a 22-day annual leave entitlement in pro rata. Conditioned working hours is 35 hours/ week from Monday to Friday and flexible working can be arranged upon personal needs. For more details on our Total Rewards Package, please visit our website http://www.gov.uk/government/world/china.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy and its Consulates is subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Chinese employment law.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
This opportunity is closed to applications.