View Vacancy - Pro-Consul/Caseworker (DEU20.262)
Note: Due to COVID-19, you may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign. We are working hard to minimise any disruption. You may find more information in the Additional Information section below.
The British Consulate-General (BCG) in Munich is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and we are currently seeking to appoint a Pro-Consul to join our Consular team.
The Germany Consular Services team is part of the wider EuroAsia Consular region that includes twenty-nine countries, where the BCG in Munich represents the UK government in Bavaria and Baden-Württemberg.
The jobholder will play a key role in providing modern and efficient consular assistance and services to British nationals and support the Germany Consular Services team, working alongside colleagues based at the British Embassy in Berlin and Consulate-General Dusseldorf, as well as other German speaking posts. We are seeking an independent, dynamic and detailed oriented Pro-Consul with prior experience in customer service.
The jobholder would furthermore be expected to contribute to wider Consular and the British Government’s Germany Network objectives and to support its positive working environment and actively participate in Learning and Development efforts.
What will be your key responsibilities?
- Provide a high level of consular assistance and support to British Nationals in a wide range of situations including hospitalisations, death, arrest, rape and sexual assault, missing persons, child custody and financial difficulties;
- Carry out vulnerability assessments and providing corresponding assistance to vulnerable British Nationals;
- Liaison with local contacts such as funeral companies, law enforcement authorities, courts, prisons, foreigners authorities as well as other key stakeholders, such as charities and support organisations in order to provide assistance to British Nationals;
- Handle correspondence, telephone enquiries, counter appointments and services;
- Manage expectations of British Nationals to what assistance they can expect according to circumstances; signposting of British Nationals to the relevant information sources and creating awareness of their own responsibility.
- Manage Consular fees and complete Consular Certificates and cashier duties;
- Manage the online appointments booking system;
- Perform other administrative duties as required (e.g. processing lost/stolen/recovered passports and UK driving licences, recording death notifications);
- Print and issue Emergency Travel Documents, including stock responsibilities;
- Update and maintain the consular content on GOV.UK, in regards to service provider lists (lawyers, translators, funeral directors etc.).
Outreach and Prevention:
- Develop and maintain a network of contacts with relevance for consular assistance and crisis related work, e.g. local authorities, NGOs, British Community groups and other stakeholders where necessary;
- Help organise outreach event(s) and participate at other stakeholder events;
- Assist the consular network with the Prevention and Partnerships plan;
- Help identify and implement network/country specific prevention campaigns to change British behaviour abroad.
Notarial work and documentary services:
- Engage with customers to signpost them to the appropriate organisation depending on the notarial act and service required;
- Prepare and sign fee bearing services where applicable.
- Take part in BCG/Section crisis preparedness efforts and activities;
- Deploying to a crisis;
- Assisting in Post preparation and response to large-scale events, responding to mass casualty incidents or crises.
- Undertake other duties that may reasonably be required and which are in accordance with the grading and core competencies of the job.
- Proficient in English and German (both written and spoken, minimum of C1 level according to the CEFR framework*);
- Minimum of 2 years of previous experience in a customer facing role and the ability to respond to a wide range of customer needs;
- A minimum of five years’ work experience;
- Good communication, interpersonal and team working skills;
- Adaptability and a positive mind-set towards change and working as part of a wider team;
- Self-motivated and able to work effectively and proactively without close supervision;
- Flexibility, resilience, patience and the ability to confidently deal with difficult situations, including (rarely) out of hours and in an emergency or crisis;
- Ability to display a high level of discretion and responsibility;
- Excellent organisational and time management skills;
- Excellent telephone manner and communication skills;
- Proficient IT skills, especially Office 365 applications;
- Flexibility to travel to the UK or other Post if necessary.
- Experience in a similar role;
- Knowledge of the German administrative, justice and legal systems and social services.
Our Conditions of Employment:
This is a full-time fixed-term position for a contract period of two years, with the possibility of renewal by mutual agreement.
The gross yearly salary is €44,232.00 rising to approx €49,686.00 gross per annum after a qualifying period in addition to performance related pay (salary is not negotiable).
The successful candidate will be subject to professional background check and security clearance. The successful candidate must have pre-existing work authorisation in Germany in order to apply.
Staff recruited locally by the British Consulate-General are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local German employment law.
Visa/Passport requirements: Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Germany and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract. Additional requirements may become necessary after 31st December 2020.
Our Learning & Development environment:
The successful candidate will be expected to complete mandatory e-learning courses on consular assistance and crisis related work within the first month of employment.
The successful candidate must be available to attend a one week Consular Assistance Work training course which is either delivered virtually or in the UK.
It is important to note that the consular caseworker role is very demanding and will entail dealing with casework in situations that may involve death, detention, rape and sexual assault and prison visits. You will be required to deal face to face with highly distressed customers who may be in shock, grieving and in a crisis situation. Candidates should therefore have a high level of resilience to trauma.
Information due to COVID-19:
- You may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption;
- Interviews will be done remotely if the existing situation determines this to be the right course of action;
- Starting date may be delayed depending on circumstances at the time and it will be agreed with the selected candidate.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”. We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Consulate-General will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
*Please note Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment indicates Level C1 as Mastery or proficiency Level which comprehends that a person can understand a wide range of demanding, longer texts, and recognise implicit meaning; can express fluently and spontaneously without much obvious searching for expressions; can use language flexibly and effectively for social, academic and professional purposes; can produce clear, well-structured, detailed text on complex subjects, showing controlled use of organisational patterns, connectors and cohesive devices. For more information please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your language skill is going to be assessed.
This opportunity is closed to applications.