View Vacancy - IT Support Officer (DEU20.363)
Due to COVID-19, you may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign. We are working hard to minimise any disruption. You may find more information in the Additional Information section below.
The British Embassy in Berlin is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas. We are currently looking for an IT Support Officer (ITSO) to provide efficient, high quality IT support, ensuring smooth running of IT services across the Embassy.
The successful candidate will be responsible for responding to customer requests by diagnosing and resolving problems and for supporting the ongoing technology needs of all employees by providing help desk support. The jobholder will need to demonstrate skills in balancing and prioritising the workload, have very good communication skills and attention to detail.
What will be your key responsibilities?
- Providing a focal point for IT users in Berlin on all IT related queries which cannot be resolved by the Helpdesk remotely;
- Support to IT infrastructure management and upkeep of servers, systems, network and application support;
- Support end user devices and act as local Help Desk support responding to queries, including support of telecommunications and video-conferencing;
- Administrating and maintaining the Embassy’s standalone machines and local area networks;
- Proactively maintain IT Infrastructure, reporting incidents and degradations in performance promptly to the Helpdesk and escalating through the correct channel where necessary;
- Liaise with the Helpdesk to resolve IT issues at post and act as point of contact for technical visits;
- Managing accurate inventory of Posts IT equipment;
- First point of contact for official telephones and internet connections (residential and office landlines, mobile phones, official internet subscriptions, cancellation and problem resolution).
Potential management of IT budget.
- Proficient in English (both written and spoken, minimum of C1 level according to the CEFR framework*);
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in customer service showing strong interpersonal skills and a customer orientation;
- Working knowledge of IT hardware and software;
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently;
- Ability to work under pressure and juggle multiple priorities effectively;
- Proactive attitude, being able to find solutions and being responsive to changing priorities;
- Ability to be well organised with attention to detail and follow through tasks, to communicate well to staff colleagues and to service providers.
- Independent level of German (minimum of B1 level according to the CEFR framework*) to effectively communicate with local telecom companies, local engineers, etc.;
- Previous experience in the IT field;
- Knowledge of networking solutions and an understanding of network infrastructure;
- Strong knowledge on Microsoft Office 365 Applications.
Our Conditions of Employment:
This is a part-time fixed-term position for a contract period of two years, with the possibility of renewal by mutual agreement, of 22.5 hours per week. The working pattern will be agreed with the successful applicant.
The gross yearly salary is €26,539.2 rising to a maximum of approx. €29,811.6 gross per annum after a qualifying period in addition to performance related pay (salary is not negotiable).
The successful candidate will be subject to professional background check and security clearance. The successful candidate must have pre-existing work authorisation in Germany in order to apply.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Germany are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local German employment law.
Visa/Passport requirements: Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Germany and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract. Additional requirements may become necessary after 31st December 2020.
Our Learning & Development environment:
The British Embassy in Berlin has a strong ethos of Learning & Development, including our Learning & Development Week. In addition, there will be many opportunities to attend external seminars and events on relevant issues. This is in addition to the induction programme offered to all Embassy staff and the on job training and mentoring from current IT Support Officer and Secure Technical Services Officer (STSO).
The successful applicant will be encouraged to be actively involved in the corporate life of the Embassy, contributing to the wider objectives of the British Government’s Germany network and supporting the Embassy’s positive working environment.
Information due to COVID-19:
- You may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption;
- Interviews will be done remotely if the existing situation determines this to be the right course of action;
- Starting date may be delayed depending on circumstances at the time and it will be agreed with the selected candidate.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”. We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Embassy will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
*Please note Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment indicates Level C1 as Effective operational proficiency to advanced level which comprehends that a person can understand a wide range of demanding, longer texts, and recognise implicit meaning; can express him/herself fluently and spontaneously without much obvious searching for expressions; can use language flexibly and effectively for social, academic and professional purposes; can produce clear, well-structured, detailed text on complex subjects, showing controlled use of organisational patterns, connectors and cohesive devices; and indicates Level B1 as Threshold/intermediate level which comprehends that a person can understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc; can deal with most situations likely to arise whilst travelling in an area where the language is spoken; can produce simple connected text on topics which are familiar or of personal interest; can describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes & ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.. For more information please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your language skill is going to be assessed.
This opportunity is closed to applications.