View Vacancy - Information Technology Support Officer (ITSO) A2 (06/21 NR)
Main purpose of job:
The Information Technology Support officer (ITSO) is responsible for providing ICT support services within the British High Commission – Nairobi as a member of the Corporate services - information Technology department. The post holder will work as part of a team to ensure availability of ICT systems and infrastructure including but not restricted to servers, workstations and laptops, printers, e-mail, Network hardware, cabling infrastructure, Uninterrupted Power Supplies, Audio-Visual and telecommunication devices. He/she will be required to carry out: IT Training on Office 365 and related Microsoft software packages, enforce ICT security policy, effect approved spend of the local ICT budget, support procurement and contract management as well as offering technical advice and support, and guidance to staff. The job holder will also be required to work with other ICT teams based regionally and in the UK as and when required.
The jobholder reports to the ICT Manager in Nairobi and will work closely with the other members of the IT team to deliver on IT support services to all BHC staff at post and satellite offices.
Roles and responsibilities:
Provide IT support to users at the mission, liaising as necessary with UK based operational services and other personnel in the High Commission
- User account administration ,Accounts creation and deletion
- Microsoft Teams creation administation and management.
- Monitor corporate internet links and back-up links to ensure up time.
Undertake effective fault management, systems maintenance checks on the system and maintain a log of work performed
- Troubleshoot and resolve workstations and laptops software and hardware problems as assiged by local helpdesk.
- Accurate reporting of system faults and preliminaly diagnosis to the helpdesk using the Service desk portal to faciliate resolutions.
- Walking staff through a series of actions, either face to face or over the telephone to troubleshot and resolve issues especially for remote users.
Network infrustructure support ,administration and management.
- Ensure 95-99% network up time for the Local network at post and Satellite offices
- Identify and diagnose networks faults , repair faulty conponents ,network equipment and infrastructure.
- Document new infrastructure installed and maintain an updated document of the network and its components
To act as the compliance officer for all internal ICT security procedures and working practices as dictated by Government ICT policies.
- Ensure Staff sign SOPs every six months
- Maintain SOPS register
Effectively execute the financial management role for missions IT and Telecoms budgets to ensure that value for money is achieved in the procurement of all goods and services for BHC.
- Forecast funds allocated to the budget subheads monthly for the whole financial year and efffect approved spend according to monthly forecast.
- Works closely with procurement to ensure compliance to procurement policy and contract manangement.
- Propose and bid for funding for IT projects identified/ required during the financial year.
Maintain hardware inventories and offer small systems support (e.g. PDAs, Laptops, standalones)
- Ensure locally managed IT system are working according to ICT Security policy.
- Maintain accurate Smartphone inventories and facilitate smartphone repairs.
- Maintain toner and consumables inventories and issuance records.
Undertake local support for telecommunications at post including Mobile phone management
- Undertake local support for IP Telephony system at post.
- Mobile Phone service support administation and support.
- Facilitate with new mobile line activation, resource changes and termination.
- Maintain an accurate list of mobile lines ,their resources and loyalty points management for official records.
- Carry out analysis of monthly mobile phone bills with an aim to identify unsual spend, trends and provide management with snapshot of high spend areas and recommend actions.
- Corporate smartphone configurations to ensure compliancy coprorate ICT and mobile phone policy.
Undertake IT training of new and existing staff members as and when required (and specific training for existing staff when required)
- Microsoft Office 365 training for staff, to familarise staff with new features, refresher courses, create instuctions manuals for quick FAQ’s.
- Champion working smart objectives to encourage use of various colaborations tools.
Maintain a fully equipped and running back site for Business Continuity in case of emergencies.
Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Minimum 5 years experience working in busy Information and Communication Technology support role.
- Experience in dealing with a wide range of Information Communications Technology
- An understanding of cultural differences.
- Networking certification would be an added bonus
- Information Technology Degree or Diploma
- ITILv3 certification
- Ability to plan ahead and prioritises effectively.
- Organised and able to work methodically.
- Ability to multi-task and meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and use initiative
- Makes effective use of office IT systems and software relevant to the job.
- Can support colleagues when under pressure and able to contribute to cross-team working.
- Can convey information accurately and concisely
Members of staff are entitled to paid annual leave, which is earned, from the day they commence employment. Entitlements are as follows:
Grade A2 25 days
In addition to annual leave, the BHC normally observes no fewer than 9 and no more than 14 Kenyan and British public and religious holidays in a year. These vary from year to year and are at the discretion of the High Commissioner. A list of holidays is published each year.
- Due to COVID 19, you may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign. We are working hard to minimize any disruption.
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Nairobi are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Kenya.
- It is essential that the applicants already have the right to live and work in Kenya without the need to apply for a work permit
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: Job grade AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
- Please log into your profile on the application system on a regular basis to review the status of your application
This opportunity is closed to applications.