View Vacancy - Head of Corporate Services
The British Embassy in Muscat invites applications for the position of Head of Corporate Services grade C5 (L) to start in June 2021.
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Main Purpose of the Job:
The Head of Corporate Services provides strategic direction to corporate services by leading an efficient, cost effective and professional team to deliver all services to the partners (from across the UK government) on the platform provided by the British Embassy in Muscat.
The role oversees the delivery of a broad range of corporate services like Finance & Procurement, HR, Estates Management, Protocol, IT, Receptionist, Health & Safety, Welfare and Mobilization support) in alignment with regionals hubs and UK government stakeholders.
As the driving force for corporate delivery, the jobholder will be a core member of the senior leadership team and management board providing corporate, financial and local insight to inform decision making.
Reporting to the Deputy Head of Mission, this role will lead and develop a diverse team of 10 corporate staff, with oversight of outsourced service providers. This job requires strong organisational and management skills and demonstrate an ability to work under pressure with minimal supervision.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
Leadership & Management 30%
- Contribute to the senior leadership of the Embassy in support of the Ambassador and Deputy Head of Mission, with a particular focus on supporting front line Embassy activity.
- Manage the platform (currently supporting 4 partners) and support regional teams, influencing at a senior level to maintain and strengthen inclusiveness.
- Actively build and deepen relationships with key stakeholders internally, within regional hubs and with external partners to maintain informed and current corporate knowledge.
- Ensure policies are reviewed and aligned to global and local requirement and adopted by all partners on the platform.
- Participate in internal committees focused on policy development and wider organisational topics and issues.
- Lead and monitor the delivery of services against the local corporate services charter.
- Lead a Corporate Services team of 10 staff with an overview of a number of external contractors.
- Oversee corporate delivery working closely with the regional HR, finance and procurement hubs and the Global Transaction Processing Centre (GTPC). Ensure full use of self-service access to corporate and regionalised services.
- Direct the management of the estate, ensuring that UK and local standards are met through planned and reactive maintenance and in compliance with corporate procedures, including local and UK health and safety regulations and policy.
- Act as the ‘intelligent client’, identifying requirements, appropriate service level agreements and key performance indicators to manage and monitor supplier contracts.
- Oversee the local delegated budget in accordance with corporate policies to ensure on-budget expenditure and value for money.
- Instil a continuous improvement mentality within the team, leading on corporate projects and the change management required to deliver them.
- Lead on the overall employer proposition, including terms and conditions of service and pay and benefits for Country based staff (CBS), ensuring compliance with local labour law.
- Provide guidance and act as an escalation point on sensitive staff matters for diplomatic and country based staff, including management issues and dispute resolution, engaging with specialist HR functions where necessary.
- Champion and embed a collaborative and inclusive culture.
- Respond to operational crisis, providing leadership and flexing team prioritisation as required.
- Ensure wellbeing and engagement are maintained within the corporate services team, seeking regular feedback and embedding the values of resilience and respect.
Resources Managed (staff and expenditure)
- Direct line management of 6 staff, countersigning for 4 staff
- Oversight of local budget - £1.7m
The above list is not exhaustive and the jobholder will be required to be flexible and take on other ad hoc tasks as required, carry out additional duties according to business needs.
The candidate will need to demonstrate the following competencies and the values of who we are during the interview:
- Managing a Quality Service - Effectiveness in this area is about being organised to deliver service objectives and striving to improve the quality of service, taking account of diverse customer needs and requirements.
- Leading and Communicating - At all levels, effectiveness in this area is about showing our pride and passion for public service, leading from the front and communicating with clarity, conviction, integrity and enthusiasm. It is about championing difference and external experience, supporting principles of fairness of opportunity for all and a dedication to a diverse range of citizens.
- Delivering Value for Money - Involves the efficient, effective and economic use of taxpayers’ money in the delivery of public services. It means seeking out and implementing solutions, which achieve the best mix of quality and effectiveness for the least outlay.
- Making Effectives Decisions - Effectiveness in this area is about being objective; using sound judgment, evidence and knowledge to provide accurate, expert and professional advice.
Who We Are is a statement bringing together the six values that most important in helping us to deliver for the UK internationally. Wherever we work in the world, we share a set of values that guides our decision-making, sets standards for our behaviour and helps us deliver the UK's national interest internationally.
These values are underpinned by the UK Civil Service values (Integrity, Honesty, Objectivity, Impartiality) and complemented by values all One HMG colleagues bring from their own department, service or administration.
- Minimum 3 years of middle management experience working for international organisation, preferably with direct involvement in HR and /or Finance policy and implementation.
- Excellent customer service skills, with a key focus on communication (both written and oral) in English and able to express ideas and messages clearly and concisely.
- A confident communicator with excellent interpersonal skills and proven ability to engage, challenge, and influence at all levels including senior stakeholders internally and with external stakeholders.
- Demonstrates courtesy and consideration in dealing with all stakeholders. Able to show high level of discretion in handling any sensitive matters, with the trust of all involved.
- Resilient, flexible and have a ‘can do’ attitude.
- Experience in managing cross-functional teams.
- Experience in managing suppliers and outsourced service delivery.
- Project management experience, and experience in managing risk.
- Knowledge of local labour law.
- Previous relevant experience either in an embassy/ foreign diplomatic mission or an international organisation, and/or in the delivery of Corporate Services.
Working Conditions and Remuneration:
The Embassy offers an attractive working environment and remuneration package for the role, including a non-negotiable salary of 1,557.207 Omani Riyals per month inclusive of all allowances; and use of on-site recreational facilities (including a swimming pool and social club). The contract will be for full-time employment, on a permanent basis.
There are no other allowances payable as part of this package. No accommodation and relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position.
Conditioned working hours are 35 hours per week. Standard working hours are 07:30 – 14:30, Sunday to Thursday. The Embassy supports and promotes flexible working as a crucial part of our inclusive offering. This particular role allows for flexibility in start and end times, working compressed hours, working remotely on one or a couple of days in a week once settled in the role, subject to agreement with management.
There is a holiday entitlement of 30 days per year (pro-rated) following successful completion of a 3-month probation period. Holidays that have already been booked will be honoured. There are also national holidays determined annually by the Embassy, which usually total 14 days per year.
The Embassy has a strong commitment to learning and development and we offer a range of opportunities for professional and personal development, with in-house and e-learning courses. We offers time and financial support to take advantage of professional learning and development opportunities inside and outside of the organisation. Also, opportunities to provide regional resilience for Corporate Services to other Embassies and High Commissions in the region.
- The successful candidate must hold or must be able to secure a local work permit in Muscat.
- The British Embassy provides visa Sponsorship. The successful candidate will be required to transfer their visa under the Embassy's sponsorship.
Interested candidates must attach the following documents when applying online.
- An updated Curriculum Vita.
- Please provide examples of performance in each competency on the motivation section of the online application form.
- A covering letter stating why you feel you have the necessary skills to perform well in the above role.
** (Your application must include examples of when you have demonstrated the competencies outlined above in the cover letter or motivation section in the application form. Applications that do not include this information will be rejected).
All applications must be received before 23:55 (Local Time) on 11 April 2021.
As part of the selection process, shortlisted applicants will be contacted to complete a remote written assessment.
The recruitment process, including security clearance, is expected to take around two-three months.
The successful applicant's employment will only be confirmed after the completion of any security clearance/checks. The checks can take several weeks to complete and the applicant will only be employed if the UK security clearance is granted.
The British Embassy Muscat is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference. Staffs recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to Terms and Conditions of service according to local Muscat Employment Law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.