View Vacancy - Executive Assistant to Political and Public Diplomacy Team (BEL21.143)
Due to COVID-19, you may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign. We are working hard to minimise any disruption. You may find more information in the Additional Information section below.
Our daily work relies on the input of dedicated individuals who engage on many different topics and activities. We seek to employ a diverse range of candidates who bring their own talents and perspectives to the role. We have a strong corporate agenda that ensures we create a positive and inclusive working environment where everyone is valued for their contribution.
The British Embassy in Brussels is part of a world-wide network of 230 Diplomatic Posts, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking for a highly motivated Executive Assistant to provide administrative and research support to Political and Public Diplomacy Team.
The Political and Public Diplomacy (PPD) team sits at the heart of the British Embassy to Belgium. The PPD team engages the Government of Belgium and provides reporting, analysis and external communications to support a range of UK interests in Belgium, including economic, security, climate change and foreign policy.
The successful candidate will have a varied portfolio between administrative responsibilities, research, policy support and communications work. This is a job for a team player who is versatile and proactive. They will provide administrative support to the team, including coordinating cross-Embassy initiatives. They will organise Embassy events, visits and wider bilateral activity. They will support the team with research and policy work. They will work with the communications team on social media and media monitoring.
This is an exciting opportunity to support the UK’s ambitious agenda in Belgium, at a fascinating time following the UK’s departure from the EU. The role sits as part of a busy team whose focus shifts according to external events and changing political priorities. As such, the job description may be subject to change and may evolve over time in response to changing circumstances. The team has a supportive work culture in which members work flexibly to support each other and share their skills.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To manage the administrative requirements for the team, including arranging meetings, managing team travel and budgets, assisting with translation and managing databases;
- To organise visits and events (in-person and virtual) on UK-Belgium bilateral issues;
Research and policy support:
- To support policy officers with online research, data gathering, media monitoring;
- To assist with policy research, including on the Embassy’s Covid-19 response;
- To track and monitor issues relating the UK/BE interests.
- To support the Embassy Communications and Public Diplomacy team in promoting the work of the British Embassy;
- To support with social media, covering press conferences and writing press summaries.
- Full professional proficiency in English, including excellent writing skills (written and spoken, minimum of C1 level for CEFR framework*);
- Full professional proficiency in French or Dutch, including excellent writing skills (written and spoken, minimum of C1 level for CEFR framework*);
- Proven/previous administration and office management skills, including demonstrating strong team-working skills;
- Ability to deliver at speed;
- Strong IT skills (Microsoft Office / Windows);
- Proven team player with good people skills.
- Intermediate French or Dutch language skills in addition to fluency of one;
- Experience in budget management;
- Event management experience.
This is a permanent full-time contract for 5 working days (36.25 hours net) per week. The monthly gross salary for this position is € 3,486.19, A2 level. In addition, we offer an extensive salary package, which includes a 13th month, luncheon vouchers, pension scheme, optional hospitalisation insurance (subject to monthly employee contribution), reimbursement of public transport and a lot more. We offer more days of annual leave than the Belgian requirements.
Please note that Belgian nationals will be paid their salary gross and are expected to comply with their tax obligations through completion of a tax return to the Belgian authorities. Non-Belgian nationals will receive their salary net, minus the deduction of an equivalent level of Belgian tax retained at source. Further information on this will be given to candidates during the recruitment process.
Staff recruited locally by the British Diplomatic Missions in Belgium are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Belgian employment law.
The successful candidates will be subject to professional background checks and security clearance.
Passport: officers are expected to be in possession of a passport due to the possibility that they may be asked to undertake business travel.
Visa/work permit requirements: Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Belgium and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract.
Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure you meet the legal requirements to live and work in this country.
Please note, Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment indicates Level C1 as Mastery or proficiency Level which comprehends that a person can understand with ease virtually everything heard or read; can summarize information from different spoken and written sources, reconstructing arguments and accounts in a coherent presentation; can express themselves spontaneously, very fluently and precisely, differentiating finer shades of meaning even in the most complex situations. For more information please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your languages skills are going to be assessed.
Please be advised that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Information due to COVID-19:
- You may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption;
- Interviews will be done remotely if the existing situation determines this to be the right course of action;
- Starting date may be delayed depending on circumstances at the time and it will be agreed with the selected candidate.
This opportunity is closed to applications.