View Vacancy - UN Attaché (AUT21.155)
Due to COVID-19, you may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption.
The British Embassy in Vienna is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking to recruit an UN Attaché.
As UN Attaché you will work with each team member to ensure that the UK is successfully represented at the UN in Vienna, including in negotiations. The role is an opportunity to learn about UN systems and negotiations, which you will engage with in order to achieve UK priorities. The position is a junior member of the team and you will be asked to show flexibility and initiative in supporting the team. You will also have responsibility for planning set piece events, including engaging London Government Departments and other Member States at the UN. You will have responsibility for ensuring that UK funding for UN programmes are kept up to date, that the UK makes the most of opportunities to fund UN activity and that the UK Mission fulfils its obligations and financial compliance.
Main responsibilities will include:
Support the team in negotiations across all portfolios by participating in UN meetings on behalf the UK;
Manage and communicate about UK programmatic activity at the UN;
Provide Communications advice to all team members ensuring that UK campaigns are supported by the right communications channels.
- Fluency in English (both oral and written, minimum C1 level*);
- Education high school level or relevant professional experience;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Good research skills, plus the ability to write fluent and concise reports in English;
- Initiative, can demonstrate flexibility and works well in a team;
- Effective time management and ability to respond to changing priorities and tight deadlines.
- Previous experience at international organisations or equivalent is desirable, but not a prerequisite for this position.
This is a local staff position in the British Embassy Vienna; it is not a diplomatic designated position. The position is subject to the terms and conditions of British Embassy employees.
This is a full-time (35 hours per week) fixed-term contract until 31 December 2021. Working hours are flexible and staff are entitled to time-off-in-lieu for extra hours worked. The annual leave entitlement is 25 days per year pro rata and the Embassy also enjoys 14 Austrian / UK public holidays per year and we are committed to ensuring a work / life balance.
The successful candidate will be subject to confirmation of a background check and security clearance. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure they are legally able to work in Austria. The Embassy is not able to assist with any visa or sponsorship arrangements.
The monthly salary will be €3,967 gross, payable 14 times a year. Please note that UK nationals will receive their salary net, minus the deduction of an equivalent level of Austrian (UK) tax retained at source. Further information on this will be given to candidates during the recruitment process. All other nationals will receive paid their salary minus social insurance deductions and are expected to comply with Austrian tax obligations through completion of a tax return to the Austrian authorities.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to terms and conditions service according to Austrian employment law.
Visa / Passport requirements:
Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Austria and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract. Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure you meet the legal requirements to live and work in this country.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Embassy will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a position.
* Please note Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment indicates Level C2 as Mastery or proficiency Level which comprehends that a person can understand with ease virtually everything heard or read; can summarize information from different spoken and written sources, reconstructing arguments and accounts in a coherent presentation; can express themselves spontaneously, very fluently and precisely, differentiating finer shades of meaning even in the most complex situations. For more information please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your languages skills are going to be assessed.
Additional Information (due to Covid 19):
- You may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption;
Interviews will be done remotely if the existing situation determines this to be the right course of action;
Starting date may be delayed depending on circumstances at the time and it will be agreed with the selected candidate.
This opportunity is closed to applications.