View Vacancy - Receptionist
The British Embassy, Muscat has a vacancy for the position of Receptionist grade A1 (L).
Main Purpose of the Job:
The receptionist role is the first point of contact for most people coming into, or calling the Embassy. This is a key public-facing role that provides an Embassy-wide function. In addition, this position provides key administrative support to the Corporate Services team.
This role reports to the Corporate Service HR Officer.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operating of telephone switchboard.
- Handling inbound phone and email enquiries and assisting visitors.
- Distributing incoming mail and scanning of documents.
- Issuing dip note numbers for Embassy colleagues and maintaining the log.
- Supporting meeting room and Embassy pool vehicle bookings for Embassy colleagues.
- Assisting the PA to HMA with social secretary duties, including acknowledgements and invitation responses.
- Managing the procurement and distribution of stationery and cleaning stores
- Managing the Embassy Annual Leave Chart and phone lists.
- Assisting with the organisation of the annual Christmas Carols.
- Supporting Corporate Services team to complete annual archive filing.
- Overseeing sim card management for mobile phone contract.
- Coordinating the organization of language training at Post for staff and spouses.
Health and Safety
- Controlling the main security airlock doors and opening/locking Embassy doors at the appropriate times.
- Working with the Post Security Manager to complete periodic incident reporting and alarm testing.
- Working with Consular Team to keep information up to date on relevant information channels.
Finance and Procurement
- Management and monthly reconciliation of cash box
- Supporting Corporate Services team with raising procurement requisitions and receiving goods and services.
- Providing support to Corporate Services team on validation of received utilities and phone bills by collating data in relevant spreadsheets to ensure the correct processing of payments.
- Ordering of business cards for all sections.
The candidate will need to demonstrate the following competencies and the values of who we are during the interview:
- Managing a Quality Service: Effectiveness in this area is about being organised to deliver service objectives and striving to improve the quality of service, taking account of diverse customer needs and requirements.
- Collaborating and Partnering: People skilled in this area create and maintain positive, professional and trusting working relationships with a wide range of people within and outside the Civil Service to help get business done.
- Changing and Improving: People who are effective in this area are responsive, innovative and seek out opportunities to create effective change. It’s about being open to change, suggesting ideas for improvements to the way things are done, and working in ‘smarter’, more focused ways.
- Delivering at Pace: Effectiveness in this area means focusing on delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes.
Who We Are is a statement bringing together the six values that most important in helping us to deliver for the UK internationally. Wherever we work in the world, we share a set of values that guides our decision-making, sets standards for our behaviour and helps us deliver the UK's national interest internationally.
These values are underpinned by the UK Civil Service values (Integrity, Honesty, Objectivity, Impartiality) and complemented by values all One HMG colleagues bring from their own department, service or administration.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- Minimum one-year experience in a similar role
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a strong customer focus
- Numerate reliable and able to work under pressure
- Ability to work both in a team and autonomously
- Ability to multi task and self-motivated
- Good knowledge of MS Office, including Word and Outlook
Working Conditions and Remuneration:
The Embassy offers an attractive working environment and remuneration package for the role, including salary of 654.72 Omani Riyals per month inclusive of all allowances; and use of on-site recreational facilities (including a swimming pool and social club). This is for a full-time employment, on a permanent basis subject to 3-month probationary period.
There are no other allowances payable as part of this package. No accommodation and relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position.
Normal working hours are 07:30 – 14:30, Sunday to Thursday.
There is a holiday entitlement of 30 days per year (pro-rated) following successful completion of a 3-month probation period. Holidays that have already been booked will be honoured. There are also national holidays determined annually by the Embassy, which usually total 14 days per year (pro-rated for part time staff).
Employment in the advertised position is dependent on the potential employee having or acquiring valid UK security clearance. Security clearances can take several weeks to process. Inability to obtain a clearance will preclude employment. Loss of a security clearance at any time will lead to termination of employment.
- The successful candidate must hold or must be able to secure a local work permit in Muscat.
- The British Embassy provides visa Sponsorship. The successful candidate will be required to transfer their visa under the Embassy's sponsorship.
Interested candidates must attach the following documents in English when applying online.
- A covering letter.
- An updated Curriculum Vitae (CV).
** (Your application must include examples of when you have demonstrated the competencies outlined above in the cover letter or motivation section in the application form. Applications that do not include this information will be rejected).
The closing date for applications is 22 May 2021 by 23:55 (Local Time).
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered. Telephone applications and enquiries will not be accepted.
The successful applicant's employment will only be confirmed after the completion of any security clearance/checks. The checks can take several weeks to complete and the applicant will only be employed if the UK security clearance is granted.
The British Embassy Muscat is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference. Staffs recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to Terms and Conditions of service according to local Muscat Employment Law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.