View Vacancy - Security Officer
The British Government’s Embassy in Washington DC has an exciting opportunity for a dynamic person to join the Security Team as a Security Officer. This opportunity is a rewarding role which supports and further develops the special relationship between the UK and the US, supporting work at the forefront of international diplomacy in order to make a real difference globally.
The US Network offers a unique career enhancing opportunity and is committed to supporting its staff through a variety of benefits including generous leave, insurance packages and a highly competitive 401k programme. It also promotes a culture of flexibility which enables people to better maintain wellness through an excellent work/life balance approach that encompasses hybrid working, including working from home and flexible hours, where possible. In this role you would be working in a diverse international environment to support the Regional Overseas Security Manager and Post Security Manager, UK diplomats, armed forces personnel and other country based staff operating across the British Government’s network of Consulates and Government Offices in the United States. This network provides a platform for approximately 30 Government departments and agencies to conduct their work in the United States and is made up of over 900 staff with a rich and diverse background, skill sets, and experiences.
The successful candidate will provide support to the Regional Overseas Security Manager and locally employed Security Manager, ensuing that effective systems are in place, so as to manage security emergencies and keep all staff aware of security regulations and compliance procedures. This position will also need to develop knowledge of the Foreign and Commonwealth Development Office Security guidance systems, as well as established Embassy security procedures and protection measures.
As an integral part of a busy and dynamic Security Services team, the successful candidate will be responsible for ensuring the safety of the Ambassador and family, HMG staff, visitors, and others who are allowed to be on the Embassy compound. In addition, the safety of the buildings and the assets within.
The ideal candidate will be team player, clear/effective communicator, and good customer focus with a background in the security industry or customer relations role.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Provide efficient security guidance and advice to customers
- Ensure that security regulations are adhered to
- Proactively identify and develop security best practice
- Control access to the Embassy compound and Residence
- Respond to and manage security situations – e.g. fire and other emergencies
- Supervise workmen and cleaners in restricted areas of the Embassy
- Carry out security patrols
- Monitor CCTV
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Ability to work days, nights, weekends and holidays on a rotational schedule
- Ability to work outside during inclement weather when needed
- Must have a proven track record of excellent customer service
- Ability to display sound judgement and organisational skills
- Ability to make effective decisions under pressure
- Good communication and interpersonal skills are essential, as well as an ability to work as part of a team or independently
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite, including Outlook and Web Access
- Ability to work overtime as dictated by the needs of the Embassy
- Fluent English language required
- Previous law enforcement or military service
- Experience of writing incident reports
- Excellent Customer service
Learning and Development Opportunities:
The British Embassy and its US Network is committed to all employee’s ongoing learning and development needs. We offer a comprehensive platform for personalised learning for everything from soft skill development (communicating with impact, handling difficult conversations, time management) to more technical or professional skills necessary to complete your job (software training, formal qualifications etc.).
The role requires a varied working pattern including working days, nights, weekends and holidays on a rotational schedule. Due to the nature of the role dealing with customers, there is no remote or flexible working permitted. The Security Team operate from the Embassy and the successful candidate will be required to attend the office for work as per the shift rotation.
This role is 40 x hours (40=FT)] a week, but does (not) require set working hours each day.
- Overtime is available upon request and is paid time and half
- Weekend and Night Differentials are available and paid 25%
- Holiday work is paid double time
- Opportunities for Employee Performance bonuses are available
Under US State Department requirements, the UK Government in the US may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Permanent Residents or A visa holders with EAD cards*. If you hold a visa other than an A visa you are not currently eligible to work at our office. Please refer to our website for information on exceptions to this policy at www.gov.uk/government/world/usa. All selected candidates are subject to background checks and will require a security clearance prior to starting work. • A visas are acceptable at the Embassy and Consulates. The UK Mission to the UN (UKMIS) accepts G visas, and British Defence Staff (BDS) outposts accept A or NATO visas. Must have a five year blueprint in USA.
The UK Government operating in the US offers a substantial benefits package including generous leave, a choice of medical insurance, 401(k) matching up to 7%, extensive learning opportunities and a great work/life balance. Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary, eg some non-local national staff and some spouses or partners of UK diplomatic staff, will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount. Internal candidates must inform their supervisor before they apply to a different position. Only successful candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed. The British Embassy is committed to a policy of equal opportunities and to creating a diverse working environment, free from discrimination, where everyone is included and treated fairly, based on merit alone. We are an equal opportunity employer, making all employment decisions without regard to race, gender, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, age, sexual orientation, political affiliation or any other criterion protected by law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.