View Vacancy - Press and Social Media Manager
The British Embassy in Algiers is seeking an individual for the position of a Press and Social Media Manager, Grade B3 (L).
The successful applicant will work within the Political Team but will be central to the whole Embassy effort. Publicising the work of the Embassy and communicating British values is an essential part of developing the UK-Algeria relationship.
Duties and responsibilities:
The successful candidate will have responsibility for managing the Embassy’s engagement with the traditional media, for instance arranging interviews for the Ambassador. (S)he will also manage the Embassy’s social media presence; we have a popular Facebook site and want to further develop our Twitter presence. (S)he will have daily contact with the Ambassador and will need to develop good working relationships with colleagues across the whole Embassy. (S)he will need to be proactive in spotting media opportunities and developing them creatively. This job would suit someone with experience of working in this field or an exceptional graduate seeking an opportunity to develop professionally in an English-speaking working environment, drawing on a genuine interest in national and global politics. The candidate will also oversee the Embassy’s Chevening Scholarship programme.
The British Embassy Algiers develops and maintains relations between the UK and Algeria, dealing with a wide range of political, commercial, security and economic questions. The Embassy is part of the UK’s Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO): a worldwide network of 230 posts representing British security, prosperity and consular interests overseas.
- Manage the Embassy’s website, Facebook page and Twitter accounts, co-ordinating a regular flow of new and high-quality content publicising the work of the Embassy and the FCO.
- Continuous development of the Embassy’s web presence, through monitoring and evaluating visitor statistics and feedback, and through keeping up-to-date with FCO global best practice.
- Leading on all engagement between the Embassy and Algerian media, e.g. arranging interviews, and maintaining a network of media contacts.
- Seeing the Big Picture- It is about having an in-depth understanding and knowledge of how your role fits with and supports organisational objectives and the wider public needs.
- Changing and Improving- It’s about learning from what has worked well and what has not, being open to change, suggesting ideas for improvements to the way things are done, and working in ’smarter’, more focused ways.
- Collaborating and Partnering- It requires working collaboratively, sharing information appropriately and building supportive, responsive relationships with colleagues and stakeholders, whilst having the confidence to challenge assumptions.
- Delivering at Pace - Effectiveness in this area means focusing on delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes. For all staff, it’s about working to agreed goals and activities and dealing with challenges in a responsive and constructive way.
- Strong written and oral English language, and fluent French or Arabic.
- Good familiarity with/experience of IT and social media.
- Good interpersonal and communications skills, including with senior staff.
- The ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Working with the Press.
Remuneration, working hours and other benefits:
The Embassy offers an attractive working environment and remuneration package for the role, including: net salary of 91,443.18 DZD per month including 15,000 DZD** allowances; 25 days paid leave annually along with up to 14 days paid public holidays.
**Allowances are not payable to staff who receive official provision for such expenditure in some other form.
Conditioned working hours are 37.5 hours per week. Normal working hours are 08:00 – 15:30 Sunday to Thursday.
The successful candidate will receive 25 days paid annual leave and up to 14 days paid public holidays.
Interested candidates must include the following when applying online:
1. An updated Curriculum Vitae.
2. Please provide examples of performance in each competency on the motivation section of the online application form or cover letter.
The closing date for applications will be 17 December 2017 by 23:55 (Local Time).
Late applications will not be considered.
Due to the number of applications we receive only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The successful candidate will need to commence security clearance procedures through the Embassy as soon as possible. Employment offers are subject to successful pre-employment checks and security clearance
The start date mentioned in the job advert is a tentative start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures.
The British Embassy Algiers is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
This opportunity is closed to applications.