View Vacancy - Defence Attaché Assistant (LVA18.546)
The British Embassy in Riga is part of a worldwide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking to recruit a Defence Attaché Assistant to cover a maternity leave.
The Defence Section in Riga is a small and highly motivated team committed to delivering high-quality service, build a broad range of contacts and productive relationships including Latvian MOD and Armed Forces.
It is a unique section within the FCO construct, subject to particular practices and Security requirements which make for a multi-faceted Assistant role, where the incumbent will also work closely with the Defence Sections of Estonia and Lithuania to advance the UK’s interests in the fields of Defence and Security.
Main responsibilities will include:
- Lead on the general administration required to support the Defence section in Riga, including the planning and coordination of the DA’s schedule;
- Coordinate work strands to ensure that the Defence section delivers against the Embassy’s Objectives and Business Plan;
- Maintain the Defence Section budget, including keeping logs and records.
- Fluent English and Latvian languages - excellent communication skills with very high standards (written and spoken).
- Competency in MS Office applications: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook;
- Excellent organisational skills, including an ability to prioritise tasks and deliver work within tight deadlines;
- Self-starter with excellent administrative skills, resilience and attention to detail;
- Ability to work independently, unsupervised and contribute positively as part of a small team.
- Russian language intermediate skills;
- Experience of programme/events/visits arranging is highly desirable;
- Budget monitoring experience;
- Knowledge or prior experience in Defence matters;
- Experience in Government, NGO or similar international instituitions.
This is a full-time temporary maternity cover of 37,5 hours net per week, for the duration of the maternity leave (approx. 1 year).
The successful candidate will be subject to professional background and security clearance. The successful candidate must have pre-existing work authorisation for the Latvia in order to apply.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Latvia are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Latvia employment law.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
This opportunity is closed to applications.