View Vacancy - Director of Trade & Investment, DIT Brazil
Main purpose of job:
This is a senior leadership role in the DIT Latin America and the Caribbean Region. You will lead delivery of HMG’s trade and investment objectives in Brazil. You will lead and manage the DIT Brazil network of five posts and a network of Prosperity Honorary Consuls in an additional 5 cities. You will also make a significant contribution to the corporate leadership of the Brazil network (sitting on the Brazil Board), and within DIT, the leadership of the LATAC region.
The job is being advertised in parallel to both UK-based staff and Local Staff on respective terms and conditions.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
1) Lead a highly skilled DIT team: 2x UKB C5 (SEO) and 40 Locally Employed staff, plus interns who form part of a wider, innovative, joined-up Prosperity team in Brazil.
2) Promote UK business in Brazil, in partnership with the GREAT campaign and as part of the country’s soft diplomacy and communications strategy, by executing a joint external communications and marketing strategy. The bulk of the region’s marketing and comms team are based in Sao Paulo and Mexico City;
3) Be a senior member of the Brazil’s leadership team and Board of Management, supporting the Consul General and DCG externally as well as internally and corporately; you will represent the UK on commercial issues (this includes high-level engagement and maintaining a public profile);
4) Work closely with the wider Prosperity Team and contribute to the Prosperity Strategy. You will provide the commercial analysis to sit alongside the wider socio-economic and political context, to drive UK commercial success through the Whitehall strategy and Brazil’s Country Business Plan.
5) Coordinate extensively with HMG colleagues and other partners in the UK to promote doing business in Brazil, to facilitate the use of UK Export Finance, manage senior visits and provide feedback to decision-makers;
6) Lead efforts in Brazil on improving Market Access; oversee the work of teams to remove barriers to trade and to increase UK competitiveness in Brazil
7) Lead DIT contribution to work on future UK-Brazil/Mercosur Trade Agreements
8) Ensure the Brazil team delivers a prompt and professional service to UK companies through an appropriate mix of efficient in-house support, signposted support (working with LATAC colleagues) and revenue-generating services;
9) Oversee an extensive inward investment strategy for Brazil and the wider LATAC region. This includes an engagement plan to meet HMG’s own investment requirements, tapping into Brazil’s wealth, with increased FTSE listings as part of our Global Britain, post-Brexit strategy;
10) Be responsible for a delegated DIT budget (£2.8m), and other delegated programme and marketing money.
Across DIT Latin America and Caribbean, you will:
11) Be a proactive member of the regional leadership team, championing the benefits of regionalisation and better cross-region working.
12) Contribute to a greater interest in opportunities for UK companies by supporting work in the UK to update and inform perception of the trade and investment opportunities for the UK in LATAC
13) Drive delivery against smart appraisals, performance objectives, clear competences and values;
Essential on arrival:
- Commercial (Trade and Investment) delivery
- Relationship management
- Trade policy
- Market access/lobbying
- Policy analysis
- Operational delivery
This opportunity is closed to applications.