View Vacancy - ROK - Defense and Security Manager (Maternity Cover)
The British Government’s Defence and Security Organisation is responsible for helping UK defence and security industries export their products overseas. The DSO team at the British Embassy in Seoul maintains relationships with the Korean government and Korean armed forces to help promote British defence and security products. We provide specialist support for British companies selling into Korea and work closely with the UK Ministry of Defence and other UK government departments.
The team aims to increase its coverage of the Korean defence and security market – requirements, acquisition budgets, programmes and competitor activity – and to better help represent the interests of UK industry with ROK government departments and their components. Reporting to the Senior Defence & Security Manager, the successful candidate will be expected to develop or improve their knowledge of the Korean defence and security sectors.
This job is to cover the existing Defence & Security manager in DSO Team during a maternity leave from Jan to April 2019.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
• Provide advice and support to UK companies in the defence and security sector, through knowledge of the ROK defence acquisition system and the Public Procurement Service
• Organise inward and outward visit programmes including high-level government to government events both in Korea and the UK such as the Farnborough Airshow, DSEi, Security & Policing UK, Seoul Air and Defence Exhibition (SADEX) and the Marine and Defence Exhibition (MADEX)
• Liaise with key stakeholders - including the Defense Acquisition Program Administration, Joint Chiefs of Staff, Agency for Defense Development, Korea Institute for Defense Development and ROK defence industry - to support UK companies doing business in Korea
• Support the First Secretary Defence & Security and Senior Manager Defence on defence and security sector issues, providing research and general administrative support including budget and resource monitoring
• Liaise with the embassy defence section on wider defence engagement issues and with the embassy trade team on technology and innovation issues
• Support wider embassy activity, such as crisis work, and participate fully in corporate management and operations.
Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills
Fluent in spoken and written English and Korean
Proven track record and confidence in engaging with senior level business and government contacts
A self starter who can work flexibly on his/her own initiative, or with others as part of a cross cutting embassy team
Event and customer management skills
A flexible team player with a willingness to take part in wider Department for International Trade projects and activities, both for self development and in support of embassy objectives, Strong IT literacy
- Knowledge and / or experience of the defence sector in government organisation or defence industries
- Project management and budget management skills
The British Embassy in Seoul offers a full range of L&D opportunities, including learning sets, e-learning and face-to-face classes. Online courses and on the job learning will form the core of the jobholder’s induction into embassy work and these may be enhanced by an additional induction course in the UK. Every member of staff is entitled to 5 L&D days per year.
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law.
While some evening work and travel overseas (which might include weekends) and within Korea is required, we promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
If the job is suitable for flexible working patterns, please provide details: TEMPORARY COVER FOR MATERNITY LEAVE FOR 3 MONTHS
All applications must be received before 17/01/2019, 23:55 23:55 Korea Standard Time.
Incomplete application forms will not be taken into consideration, so please ensure you provide the information requested. We regret to advise that we will only be contacting short-listed candidates. Applicants called for an interview will be assessed on the core competencies listed above.
The successful candidate should be able to start by 1 March 2019.
This opportunity is closed to applications.