View Vacancy - BK - Head of Communications, C4 (L)
As Head of the Communications Team, you will strengthen the UK’s profile in Thailand by engaging with Thai media, delivering innovative campaigns and events, continuously improving the Embassy’s social media platform and acting as the focal point for the Embassy soft power effort.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Work with all sections of the Embassy and the British Council to develop a communications strategy in line with HM Government objectives for Thailand, and lead on developing campaigns in support of this.
- Ensure effective outreach to Thai media
- Act as an innovative focal point for the Embassy’s soft power effort, including promotion of the GREAT campaign
- Advise on senior media engagement for visiting VIPs, the Ambassador and Deputy Head of Mission
- Manage and improve the Embassy’s digital presence (currently website, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram)
- Ensure that the Embassy responds to fast-moving events with clear and considered press lines; media lead in crisis response team
- Develop core scripts so that Embassy officials offer a consistent message on UK government policy in Thailand
- Play a wider corporate role as a member of the Embassy Board of Management
- Maintain a high level of performance and motivation within the team, by modelling strong leadership, offering a clear sense of direction, encouraging learning and development, and promoting a team spirit
- Fluent English (spoken and written)
- At least three years’ experience in a communications environment (private or public sector)
- Track record in developing effective communications strategies and building relations with the media
- Social media skills, specifically on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Ability to see the bigger policy picture (political, trade etc) and reflect this in development of campaigns etc
- Ability to present a case to senior colleagues
- An effective and caring manager of people
Event management experience
- Ability to read, write and speak Thai
The British Embassy offers a competitive remuneration package, including salary (will be abated for those not liable to tax), benefits, a leave entitlement, Health Insurance and comprehensive development programme based upon business need and individual staff requirements.
Employment offers are subject to successful clearance of pre-employment and security checks. Staff who are locally recruited by the British Embassy are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law.
No accommodation or relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position. You must have or be able to obtain work authorisation in Thailand in order to apply. Any costs related to obtaining or renewing permits and visas are the responsibility of the successful applicant.
All applications must be received before 23:55 on 27 March 2019.
Incomplete application forms will not be taken into consideration, so please ensure you provide the information requested. We regret to advise that we will only be contacting short-listed candidates. Applicants called for an interview will be assessed on the core competencies listed above.
Reminder for existing Embassy staff who will be interested to apply:
Along with the completed online application form, candidates should upload their last two years End of Year Appraisals if applicable. If applicants have been employed for less than twelve months, they will need to provide permission from their Head of Section to apply and should attach this to their application.
Guidance on completing competency based application forms and sitting Interviews can be found on the BE Website and also on the Civil Service Learning portal, Virtual Ashridge portal and Goodpractice.net (both accessed through the CSL). Staff are strongly advised to refer to these.
We recommend all applicants to understand the Civil Service competences before applying for any role and in preparation for interviews. For more information, you can visit our website - https://www.gov.uk/government/world/organisations/british-embassy-bangkok/about/recruitment.
Please check your application centre regularly for any update on your application.
This opportunity is closed to applications.