View Vacancy - Works Supervisor
The British Embassy in Bahrain is seeking a highly motivated and enthusiastic individual for the position of Works Supervisor, Grade – A1 (L), as part of our Corporate Services team.
Purpose of the job:
As the Works Supervisor you will be responsible for all routine maintenance, repairs and minor works projects at the British Embassy; comprising of offices, residential accommodation, amenities and grounds. Leading a small team of directly employed handyman and contractors you will ensure that all facilities are operated and maintained in accordance with relevant technical and health & safety standards. You will be required to take a hands-on approach, undertaking some aspects of maintenance works yourself (appropriate to your skill set), lead by example and be prepared to invest in the development of your team.
- Embassy main point of contact for maintenance suppliers.
- Meet with suppliers regularly.
- Negotiates prices with suppliers during procurement.
- Works with Corporate Services assistant on a monthly basis to ensure all supplier invoices are received on time.
- Liaison with Embassy cleaning team to ensure Embassy (internal and external) cleanliness throughout the day.
- Works with landlords of rented properties to ensure jobs required are completed timely and professionally.
- To liaise with contractor for repair, maintenance works in office and leased apartments and update officer/office on progress.
- Receive, physically check and keep records of the procured materials
- Supervises contractors who are not cleared.
- Oversees contractor’s works to ensure the job is done to required standard; signs off jobs.
- Preparation of housing for new arrivals ensuring the property is clean and float is in place.
- Manage all documents related to maintenance, repairs carried out at the office or leased apartments. PCA documents to be monitored and updated.
- Work with Estates Manager to plan and assign the day to day tasks for handymen/ vendors and keep the stakeholders posted.
- On call (out of hours) for UKBS if any issues
- Ensure the residential and estates inventory and asset register is up-to-date, including the procurement and disposal of equipment and furnishings in line with FCO policy.
- Maintaining the store’s inventory and stocks at the optimum levels to meet any contingency disaster but kept to the minimum according to guidelines.
- To arrange delivery of household equipment, furniture to apartments/residence before officer moves in or as and when requested by officers
- Implementation of a documented preventative planned maintenance system for essential building services, plant and equipment, including;
- LV electrical distribution and electrical installations;
- Split air conditioning, package A/C units and AHU’s;
- Standby generators;
- Fire protection systems;
- Water services;
- Swimming pools and associated water treatment plant;
- Security gates / vehicle barriers etc.;
- External security lighting.
- General office duties when required.
- Update information on pyramid as per FCO and Estates guidelines regularly (deputising for Estates Manager)
- Preparing and processing of documents in line with FCO procurement policy for procurement of estates materials and projects, house packs, white goods, health and Safety items except low value GPC procurement
- Ensure all invoices for residential and office procurement are accounted timely
- Use of GPC, CCC and account transaction in Prism on regular basis.
- Translation of Arabic documents and calls
- General support to Corporate Services Team
- Work on any additional adhoc projects or in any other areas as required.
- Supporting events at the Embassy
Key Competencies and Required Skills:
- Collaborating and Partnering - People skilled in this area create and maintain positive, professional and trusting working relationships with a wide range of people within and outside the Civil Service to help get business done.
- Leading and Communicating - Effectiveness in this area is about leading from the front and communicating with clarity, conviction and enthusiasm. It’s about supporting principles of fairness of opportunity for all and a dedication to a diverse range of citizens.
- Delivering at Pace - Delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes.
- Managing a Quality Service - Effectiveness in this area is about being organised to deliver service objectives and striving to improve the quality of service, taking account of diverse customer needs and requirements.
- Fluent communication skills in English and Arabic language (both written and spoken)
- Strong organizational skills and keen attention to detail
- IT competency (Word, Outlook, Excel, databases)
- Hold a recognised trade qualification ideally in Electrical Installation plus a further qualification at diploma level in an engineering subject
- Health and Safety Training to Supervisor level
- 5 years works experience in an commercial or residential environment;
- Experience in the supervision and management of people employed on maintenance activities;
- Fluent communication skills in Hindi and Tagalog (both written and spoken)
- Any other trade training
- Contract management experience
Working Hours and Remuneration:
A monthly salary package of 624 BHD as well as private medical insurance, a leave entitlement and training package. Specific training and mentoring for the role will be provided for the successful candidate. This may include training in London and the region.
Flexibility will be required on the working hours, including providing leave cover, but the usual working pattern will be Sunday – Thursday from 0730 – 1430.
No accommodation or relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position.
The successful candidate will be subject to a 3 month probationary period and will need to commence security clearance procedures through the Embassy as soon as possible. Employment offers are subject to successful clearance of pre-employment checks.
Interested candidates must attach the following documents when applying online.
- An updated Curriculum Vitae (CV) including three references.
- A covering letter stating why you feel you have the necessary skills to perform well in the above role.
- Please provide examples of performance in each competency on the motivation section of the online application form.
** (Applications that do not include this information will not be considered.).
All applications must be received before 23:55 (Local Time) on 30 April 2019.
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
The recruitment process, including security clearance, is expected to take around two months.
Due to the large amount of applications we receive only those shortlisted for interview/assessment will be contacted.
The start date mentioned in the advert is an assumed start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances and reference checks.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local labour law.
The British Embassy Bahrain is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
This opportunity is closed to applications.