View Vacancy - AUH - DIT Healthcare Advisor C4(L)
The British Embassy Abu Dhabi has a vacancy for a Healthcare Advisor under the Department for International Trade (DIT).
The jobholder will lead on implementation of the Healthcare Sector strategy and High Value Campaigns (HVCs) within the Healthcare and Life Sciences Cluster, including supporting relevant visits and events in UAE and UK. You will lead on Ministerial attendance and UK Government activities at the Arab Health Trade Show in January, consulting as required with Head of DIT in Abu Dhabi and working closely with the Life Sciences Lead. You will provide support to high potential companies and with government relationships to increase exports and attract investment, working with UK Export Finance (UKEF), an in-market specialist, and the Healthcare team based in the UK. You will act as a multiplier across the region through working closely within the regional team, supporting on sectoral market access issues.
Duties and responsibilities:
– Major project work
- Lead on Government-to-Government activity such as Memorandums of Understanding (MoUs) and policy development.
- Lead on UK/ UAE collaboration in healthcare and managing strategic relationships. Lead on scoping opportunities in the Healthcare sector for major projects in which UK businesses and healthcare providers might successfully bid, leading to export wins for UK companies.
- Obtain the latest information on commercial projects and promote UK strengths in the sectors.
- Work with Healthcare UK (part of DIT) in the UK, act as the UAE lead on the regional High Value Campaign (HVC).
- Country lead on DIT activities during Arab Health and other sectoral Trade Shows and Trade Missions.
- Develop and maintain a Strategic Relationship Management (SRM) approach for key interlocutors in the sector, enabling other DIT staff and the wider Embassy access for extensive, up-to-date key documents, information for key ministries, companies in the UAE.
- Work with DIT teams in the region as part of the Healthcare and Life Science Cluster.
– Business development
- Maintain, build, and proactively develop strategic contacts with key stakeholders in the market in order to identify new commercial opportunities as they arise and promote UK strengths in Healthcare.
- Foster relationships between UK businesses and local stakeholders.
- Develop partnerships and support the UAE British Business Group and the Business Council working group, including attending networking events in and out of hours.
- Working individually, with International Trade Advisors based in UK, or through use of DIT services, mentor new and experienced high potential UK exporters through the implementation of new strategies and plans to increase their trade activity in the market and connect them with key stakeholders.
- Provide market access and, where required, work with Prosperity team colleagues towards elimination of barriers to trade for UK plc in the market, logging new barriers on the DIT portal.
- Undertake occasional visits to the UK for promotion of market opportunities in the Healthcare Sector.
- Prepare annual business plans and strategies for the sector and regularly update sector reports.
- Present at seminars and other DIT events in the UAE and UK and contribute to in-market briefings to promote UK expertise in the sector.
- Develop partnerships with DIT regional offices, DIT Sectors Group, Chambers of Commerce, and Trade Associations.
- Provide written and oral briefing for high level visits and meetings quickly whilst under pressure.
- Devise and run with VIP programmes for Ministers and senior DIT staff visits.
– DIT service delivery
- Work closely with Healthcare UAE market specialist based in Dubai, UKEF Counsellor, and the Healthcare UK team based in the UK to keep pipeline opportunities information and progress updated, agree action and share key insights with regional colleagues.
- Work closely with the UAE Life Science Lead on cross cutting projects and opportunities.
- Generate and record export wins, export opportunities, and other metrics for UK companies to contribute towards DIT targets.
- Provide senior level support, advice, and insight regarding the commercial environment in the UAE in the Healthcare sector.
- Represent the commercial viewpoint of the British Embassy beyond the DIT team, across the Embassy, and externally.
- Refer appropriate potential customers to our partners, the British Centre for Business (BCB) and Pro Partners for support in commercial opportunities.
- Management of DIT events in the UAE including exhibitions, seminars, market visits, and supervision of programmes for UK delegates visiting the market.
- Work closely with the Infrastructure DIT UAE team and Expo 2020 Lead on projects of mutual interest.
- Work closely with the Expo 2020 Lead on design opportunities in the run up to, during, and legacy after the event.
- Occasionally support events in the sector and the wider DIT team.
– Wider Embassy activities
- Contribute towards wider Embassy activities-at least one corporate objective.
- Assist the Embassy team in making arrangements for VVIP visits in your area of expertise, as required.
Key competencies required:
- Making Effective Decisions - Being objective; using sound judgement, evidence, and knowledge to provide accurate, expert and professional advice and evaluating options before arriving at well-reasoned justifiable decisions. Creating evidence based strategies, evaluating options, impacts, risks and solutions; aiming to maximise return while minimising risk and balancing social, political, financial, economic and environmental considerations to provide sustainable outcomes.
- Collaborating and Partnering - Creating and maintaining positive, professional, and trusting working relationships with a wide range of people within and outside the organisation to help get business done. Working collaboratively, sharing information and building supportive, responsive relationships with colleagues and stakeholders, whilst having the confidence to challenge assumptions.
- Managing a Quality Service - Being organised to deliver service objectives and striving to improve the quality of service, taking account of diverse customer needs and requirements. Effectively planning, organising, and managing time and activities to deliver a high quality and efficient service, applying programme and project management approaches to support service delivery. Creating an environment to deliver operational excellence and creating the most appropriate and cost effective delivery models for services.
- Seeing the Big Picture - Having an in-depth understanding and knowledge of how your role fits with and supports organisational objectives and the wider public needs, focusing your contribution on the activities which will meet the organisation’s goals and deliver the greatest value. Scanning the political context and taking account of wider impacts to develop long term implementation strategies that maximise opportunities to add value to the citizen and support economic, sustainable growth.
- Trade background in a similar or business development role.
- Evidence of advisory and negotiation skills. Able to express ideas and messages clearly and concisely, both orally and in written communication.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and able to influence and network confidently with industry leaders, government officials, and senior business people.
- Strong customer focus and ability to deliver quality service.
- Team player who is capable of working on their own initiative and managing others.
- Ability to multi-task and have excellent organisational skills.
- Ability to problem solve and work under pressure to meet multiple and changing priorities.
- Excellent communication skills in English, both written and spoken.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office programmes.
- Current understanding of the Healthcare sector in the Middle East and/ or UK, and with a strong network of stakeholders and contacts in the sector.
- Previous experience of working in the Middle East, and awareness of the region’s culture, traditions, and protocol.
- Experience in event management.
- Arabic language skills.
The Embassy aims to offer an attractive working environment and remuneration package for this role, including: 25 days of annual leave per annum, on-site parking, on-site swimming pool, gym, and sports facilities.
Salary is at AED 21,994 per month.
There are no other allowances payable as part of this package. No accommodation and relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position.
Conditioned working hours are 38 hours per week. Standard working hours are from 07:30 to 15:06, including a lunch break of 36 minutes, from Sunday to Thursday. The jobholder should be flexible in their approach to hours worked as these will be dictated by operational needs and may involve working out of hours, especially during events and visits. Equally, DIT will show flexibility to accommodate your needs, e.g., a flexible start or finish time; flexibility to attend important school events, etc. in line with FCO and Embassy policies.
How to apply:
Interested candidates must attach 1) an updated Curriculum Vitae (CV) and 2) a covering letter to their online application form.
Your application must also include examples of when you have demonstrated the competencies outlined above.
Applications that do not include these information will not be considered.
Closing date for applications is at 23:55 (UAE local time) on 25 May 2019.
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
The recruitment process, including security clearance, is expected to take around two months.
Due to the large number of applications we receive, only those shortlisted for the next step of the recruitment process will be contacted.
The start date mentioned in the job advert is a tentative start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances.
The British Embassy Abu Dhabi is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce, and valuing difference.
This opportunity is closed to applications.